buckdog

Hard Drive Problem - SOLVED

Hi!

I've been having a minor problem with my MacBook Pro for a while now and want to make sure that I shouldn't deal with it before my warranty expires in July. Seemingly randomally, I get error messages such as "your itunes library could not be saved," in iTunes, errors that data cannot be written to the hard drive in Word, and "Unable to Mount Database" in Skype. Restarting the computer fixes this problem, and it seemed to get better after doing a Mac OS X Software Update, perhaps because of the "optimizing" step it goes through.

I tried repairing permissions and even ran the disk utility from my OS X Snow Leopard install disk. Do you think that this is a problem caused by the computer's hard drive, and do you think that Apple might fix this problem under warranty? I'd just take it to the Apple Store or call Apple, but the error messages are random enough that I do not think that I could replicate them at the store.

I'm suspecting that this is a hard drive problem because the computer is telling me that it cannot save files, although perhaps it's not. Another strange thing is that after I get the error message in Microsoft Word, I can not even save my file to a flash drive, I have to reboot the computer.

Also, while sometimes I get the error messages in multiple programs on my computer and the computer becomes unstable in general, today I got the iTunes error message but the rest of the computer seems to be fine.

I did drop the laptops from my bed a while back and have had to do a hard restart or two over it's life (less than a year), although there are no physical signs of damage on the computer.

Thanks for your help!

hard drives have a life of about 3 years. if you don't have an image backup of it on a daily basis you need to spend the $100 to get a external drive right now. after you do the back up take the Mac in for repair. complain that it's "intermittently not saving files. and that when it does that the hard drive makes a clicking noise." this should prompt a replacement.

> Apple has every intention of making the iPad just as functional and probably more than a laptop.

from a certain point of view that's true. it will be a long time before it totally replaces (if it ever completely replaces) the desktopnotebook. there are tasks that demand lots of storage, speed and screen that will simply never work on the padtop.

Hi! I think that I got the issue resolved. I ran "repair disk" from my Mac OS X disk, it had errors that it could not repair and suggested reformatting the hard drive or reinstalling OS X, so I went ahead and backed up my data, reformatted the hard drive, and reinstalled Mac OS X.

Validate Disk inside of the disk utility says that the hard drive is OK now and the computer is running well.

Thanks for your help!

Glad to hear your got it resolved! There were probably some bad sectors on the drive. During the the formatting process, the sectors got marked as bad, so they will no longer be used.

Glad to hear your got it resolved! There were probably some bad sectors on the drive. During the the formatting process, the sectors got marked as bad, so they will no longer be used.

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense.