R94N

Are any of you active in IRC?

As above really. I help out on Wikipedia a lot so I like to help out on the Wikipedia live help chat on there. Recently I've been looking through some Apple/tech IRC chatrooms and I was wondering if anyone in the forum here use IRC. If so, just out of interest what client do you use? I use Colloquy.

I used to leave IM tools up and open but I turned all this off. for whatever reason people would get peeved that didn't reply to then seconds after they typed a message. this meant that I was busy doing everything else. there is a time and a place of group chat though. ircle was my choice of IRC back when I used IRC. I haven't fired up anything for a long time.

Yes, that's the trouble with some channels. There's plenty of people in the room, it's just that the chat is a bit stagnant. The Wikipedia IRC channel's great though, we were all playing this quiz thing with a bot one user had created, and it automatically detected which person typed the right answer, kept track of scores and everything. It was really good and although it sounds a bit boring, we all had a great laugh.

Maybe it's just me, but it appears that most people either prefer forums or chat and don't use both lots ( either one or the other mostly ). I belong to many forums, but the only IRC chat I ever participate in is one of a certain nationally syndicated tech radio show host ( John knows who I'm referring to I'm sure, LOL ) and then only when I am viewing his shows live.

Edited by Dolphbucs

Ive nevrer really liked IRC, have always found them too noisy. I prefer my chat to be one on one, never more than three people in the chat or it becomes unmanageable for me.

I used IRC in the past for a few specific work-related conversations. I feel it's rather outdated now. Multi-person iChat or a message board (such as this one) are better suited for the types of communication i've experienced on IRC.

Maybe it's just me, but it appears that most people either prefer forums or chat and don't use both lots ( either one or the other mostly ). I belong to many forums, but the only IRC chat I ever participate in is one of a certain nationally syndicated tech radio show host ( John knows who I'm referring to I'm sure, LOL ) and then only when I am viewing his shows live.

Leo Laporte?

I must be the exception then, because I use both. Even though IRC is kinda old, I still find it useful for some things.

Correct, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were not alone ... it's just that to me, it seems that those who use forums ( for the most part ) like to read posts and reply on their own time, not real time ... for the most part anyway.