R94N

Any good UK car podcasts?

Hey guys, I don't want anyone to think I'm spamming the forums but I have a genuine thought. I thought that this forum gets a bit stagnant sometimes so I thought I'd post something completely off-topic and unrelated to tech here.

I was browsing through iTunes and even though there's plenty of automotive podcasts on there I was wondering if there are any UK podcasts on this subject out there, whether they're on iTunes or not. The US ones are good but US cars are completely different to European cars, so a lot of the content is not very useful to me.

I figured that a lot of you guys probably listen to a lot of podcasts so I thought I'd post this here.

Even if you don't listen to car podcasts, have you got any recommendations? I listen to plenty of tech shows already, so I was looking for podcasts on other subjects too. I will consider just about anything. I was surprised that there's only a couple of podcasts on cars from the whole of the UK.

Edited by R94N

Speaking for myself, I welcome some forum activity! Your right, it's usually pretty quiet around here. And there is nothing wrong with an off-topic conversation in the off-topic forum :)

I'd love to discover a European car podcast! I've never listened to an American one, but my suspicion is they are as dreadful as American car TV programs. Painful! Especially when compared to something like Top Gear! Let me know if you find something!

As far as other podcasts, if you are at all into photography, check out Tips From the Top Floor. It's a great, long running podcast done by a guy out of Germany (the podcast is in English). Even if you aren't into photography it's pretty entertaining.

Cool, some of the American car podcasts have a nice bit of banter but I am not familiar with any of the models at all, whereas I know most European models :)

Although it's an American website, Autoblog is a nice site. I think it's run by AOL, the same people that run Engadget. At least I think so. Topgear.com is also a nice site as well, but they cover supercars and things like that mostly, whereas Autoblog covers mostly everyday cars.

Yeah Autoblog is a great car blog. They also have an audio podcast, but I've never checked it out.

Yeah Autoblog is a great car blog. They also have an audio podcast, but I've never checked it out.

Ah, I listen to that podcast! It's good with some nice banter which I always like, but they talk about American cars mostly which are completely different to their European counterparts, so it's not very useful. I know a fair bit about European cars (If I do say so myself :P) but American cars I'm not sure about.

I do like Answer Me This! though, a great British podcast done by two friends and another guy where they answer people's questions and things - it might sound boring but it's really good :)

Look here, if you want :)

Well, I did find a couple. There's caradvice.com.au, which is both an Australian website and podcast. Not British, but still a nice little listen. They're recordings of a radio segment that is broadcast in Queensland, and it's good because they're only 10 - 20 minutes, whereas many podcasts are 1 hour - 1:30 (nothing wrong with that, but sometimes I just don't have the time to wade through 2 hours of podcast). Also in the UK Which? (a consumer magazine) have a podcast as well, but it's only monthly and it's a bit too formal for my liking. Car talk on National Public Radio (you might've heard of that, it's in the US) is by far my favourite find. Again, not British but it's more of a listener phone-in-style show with questions/queries to do with fixing/buying cars, a bit like the Tech Guy on TWiT, except that's technology. I like Car talk because it's a lot less formal and the presenters, who are two brothers, have a real laugh together which is good.

I kinda figured not many of these are British (despite the fact this thread's supposed to be about UK podcasts) but I liked them. Car Talk I can understand more as even though it's American (with American cars, which are different to European ones) it's about repairing/buying/selling them so it's a bit more relevant to a UK listener.