ipodman

New Mac Mini

Long time no see everyone!

so they just put out a new mac mini.

but you know the thing is its stupid.

because the old mac mini wasnt small enough, lets spend heaps of money and apple power to make a smaller one.

its underpowered and overpriced.

the whole point of the mac mini was to be cheap, the original one was $499.

they should make another powermac cube with decent guts in it.

I think the machine looks very nice. I like what they did with everything in it and overall, I think it's an improvement. However, I agree with you - the price hike seems a little weird and for me makes the Mac Mini much less appealing. I could (maybe) understand a price increase of $50-100, but $200?! I doesn't seem like Apple.

Hey, by the way ipodman your user picture isn't available any longer unless you've deliberately chose that :)

With the HDMI port addition, I think that the new mini will finally spell the death of the Apple TV. I mean you can now use your HDTV as your display. And BTW, if you look at the specs and spec out the old one it's not really much of a price hike after all .... and for the record the low end mini has been $599 since 2006 so even at the low end it is just an increase of $100.

Edited by Dolphbucs

I think the new version is great! It looks a bit more refined, as the old design was getting pretty stale.

It seems to be that when I would spec out the previous model, the price would end up about $699 USD anyway. With the new version, I don't think I would add anything to it, at least not for home theater use.

End of the Apple TV? Probably. Unless we see the Apple TV resurrected as a streaming-only device.

its underpowered and overpriced.

the whole point of the mac mini was to be cheap, the original one was $499.

Really? As i stated in my last post, the low end mini has been $599 for four years. And it has the same processor and more graphics RAM than the iMac 20" up until early 2009 and those that are still running those machines would hardly call them underpowered ( source: Mactracker ). Plus it now has the ability to connect to your HDTV and use that as your monitor via HDMI. Looks to me like a great value .... unless you compare it to cheap PC's. IMHO

it's a total work of art. I was curious about how small the motherboard has to be as the new case is totally short. the old mini has lots of risers and formers allowing parts to get stacked. so I printed the bottom case image as seen on Apple.com and placed real objects on it. it looks like there is lots of room until you consider there is also a power supply inside that case. the PS likely takes out the space to the right of the hard drive from front to back. if the optical media wasn't in the case the height could be lowered by 15mm.

macmini.jpg

Edited by johnfoster

Nice, John.

Thanks.

the Mac Mini 2010 is 7.7" x 7.7 inches making it the same size at the AppleTV. or to look at it another way its 1.2" wider than the old model. the ATV has a power supply inside just like the MM. so while it's really small "looking" is not much smaller when compared to a MacBook. for either product to get "thinner" at this point requires ditching the optical drive as there is no way to make it any smaller.

minivsmacbook.jpg

I love how the power supply is integrated. I thought it was a real nice idea.