Bandito

Using an iPhone without SIM card

Bandito    0

Can an iPhone without a SIM card be used just as an iPod Touch?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it will still want to activate and I'd likely need to Jailbreak it. Any definitive word on this?

Reason for this is that I'm FINALLY upgrading my first gen 8 GB iPhone to the new iPhone 4 and would like to pass my current iPhone down to my kids to listen to music and play some apps on.

Seems that this should be fairly simple.

johnfoster    48

the 1st gen phone will work without a SIM card as long as it's Jailbroke. the latest version of PwnageTool or RedSn0w can do the job for you. there isn't really a difference from the end point of view. be sure to read ALL the directions twice before giving this a go. both tools point out about how the newest version of iPhone OS isn't a good idea. heed that advice. I've done this with a few iPhones and it seems take longer to do than it should.

given that the phone can still be a phone it might be a good idea to see if anyone around you has an old POS that needs an iPhone upgrade. given that the iPhone you have will work with lots of carriers after it's been unlocked (which is almost automatic for that model) you have a chance to make somebody's day.

Bandito    0

the 1st gen phone will work without a SIM card as long as it's Jailbroke. the latest version of PwnageTool or RedSn0w can do the job for you. there isn't really a difference from the end point of view. be sure to read ALL the directions twice before giving this a go. both tools point out about how the newest version of iPhone OS isn't a good idea. heed that advice. I've done this with a few iPhones and it seems take longer to do than it should.

given that the phone can still be a phone it might be a good idea to see if anyone around you has an old POS that needs an iPhone upgrade. given that the iPhone you have will work with lots of carriers after it's been unlocked (which is almost automatic for that model) you have a chance to make somebody's day.

Great. I've used PwnageTool before (although I stopped jailbreaking my iPhone once the App store became available). I'll look into it once I replace the phone. I'm sure someone could use a good phone as my first gen is still in great shape, but my kids are bugging me for it and it would certainly make them happy. Besides they're getting me the iPhone for Father's day (ok, my wife actually pre-ordered it) so it's only fair. :)

Thanks.

Huskermn    33

My 1st gen iPhone still has the SIM in it but has no associated cell coverage so works just like a touch

roogie    1

Apple's recommended way of using an iPhone as an iPod Touch is to leave the SIM card in, I've done this with my first generation iPhone and it works just fine and can still make 911 calls in an emergency situation.

roog

JERRY    2

Apple's recommended way of using an iPhone as an iPod Touch is to leave the SIM card in, I've done this with my first generation iPhone and it works just fine and can still make 911 calls in an emergency situation.

roog

Thanks. i have a 3G that I would like to keep using as an iPod Touch So I just leave the sim in and it will sync as usual? Can you refer me to the Apple discussion on this as well. Thanks. Jerry H

roogie    1

Thanks. i have a 3G that I would like to keep using as an iPod Touch So I just leave the sim in and it will sync as usual? Can you refer me to the Apple discussion on this as well. Thanks. Jerry H

Sorry for not replying earlier, must've had notifications turned off on this topic.

Here is the Apple Tech Support article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

It'll sync just fine, I renamed mine iPod Touch just to make it clearer to me. :)

roog