Dolphbucs

Just who is in charge of the Apple Discussion Forums ?

An interesting situation has occurred. I Have been posting on the Apple Support Forums for quite awhile. Recently I responded to a thread concerning the fact that Apple seems to have no way for a Customer to enter their Apple ID and get a list of all the products that customer has registered ( with product registration ). The link is posted below.

http://discussions.a...hreadID=2281474

After a page and a half of comments, during which a certain member who has more than 16,000 posts and who has been a member since 2000 repeatedly criticized other members for not taking responsibility and keeping their own records ( some of us commentated back that we do and just want a way to double check with Apple ), now any comment I make in response to that member's ( named eww ) last post, gets deleted by Apple with reasons like it contains " non-constructive rants and complaints " when I am only trying to defend my position.

Any ideas as to what is going on here? I can't find anyway to even contact any mods of that board. Is it possible that this member really is an Apple employee that doesn't like being questioned? Did I set off any bots by my comment or how it is formed? Does Apple possibly shop out the moderation of this discussion board? And how is it that my post is a non-constructive rant or complaint yet eww's post I quoted is allowed to stand? It has never really been a great place to get info, but it bothers me that this is occurring.

I know nobody here can do anything about this but it is very troublesome that this is happening on Apple's own discussion boards ... if nothing else it does not make Aplpe look good. At the very least I thought others should be informed.

Edited by Dolphbucs

Update: I finally got one post to stick. I eliminated starting the post with a quote, and posted a short just saying "As I stated before, I do indeed keep such records". Is it possible that something in the way I phrased the post triggered some sort of "kick out bot" and then starting the other threads the same way, the automated actions just assumed it was the same post ? Or is it more probable that "eww" knows somebody who mods the forum and that contact finally went off duty?

I am fairly active on the forums there (although not as much as I used to be) and, yes, the forums are definitely censored/moderated. For example polls are not allowed, and they are removed eventually. Also certain off-topic discussion and spam is not allowed (which is understandable) but basically you can just say anything you want. I am sure you are already aware of this, but what is OK or not to be posted on the forums is documented here. It might be a bot that does this or a real person, but I don't know.

I realise that you probably already know about most of the stuff I've said but hopefully the link is useful.

Yeah, I did. After looking back on it, the only thing I can figure is that in the original message, one before the screenshot I posted, in the heat of battle I did make the comment "Are you dense?". In retrospect I can see where this might have seemed inflammatory and manually removed by a live mod, but there had been prior comments in that thread raising the possibility that the poster in question, "eww" was an Apple employee who was trying to quell any questioning of Apple policy and that led to me during the course of these events to get the impression that maybe somebody was trying to keep my opinion from being seen.

I can see now, as I said in my update, that most probably my subsequent posts were deleted because they all began with the same quote and either there is a bot to prevent re-posting of things that have been deleted which saw that and kicked in, or that same mod was looking at that thread, seeing the beginning of each post and assuming it was a repost.

Anyway, I have since been able to make 3 posts to that thread with no issues ( crossing fingers ).

Yeah, I think that forum's a lot more restricted in terms of rules compared to other forums. It's still quite a good place to get help/help people out though, it's quite busy.

But unfortunately, as time goes by, it is becoming more and more of a place where you get meaningless answers, if any. For example, there is one thread where many have posted about a glitch with Sow Leopard which causes pixelated icons. About every other post is now someone who has not read the entire thread and posts a suggestion that was either proven useless 20 or 30 posts ago, or has nothing to do with the real issue as stated in the thread. And it is getting more and more filled with trolls ... just check out the thread above again to see how it ended.

Edited by Dolphbucs

But unfortunately, as time goes by, it is becoming more and more of a place where you get meaningless answers, if any. For example, there is one thread where many have posted about a glitch with Sow Leopard which causes pixelated icons. About every other post is now someone who has not read the entire thread and posts a suggestion that was either proven useless 20 or 30 posts ago, or has nothing to do with the real issue as stated in the thread. And it is getting more and more filled with trolls ... just check out the thread above again to see how it ended.

It's a real shame - it could be a really great place to get help. I luckily haven't come across any trolls whilst posting yet.

I mostly decided that a long time ago and just come here for answers. Not always available but seems much more likely than there.

And, the detractors go there to be able to say "Look how many people are having problems with <whichever Apple product they want to berate> ".

It's a support forum. If one doesn't have a problem, there's really no reason to go there.

I mostly go there to help others, as I've only had one problem with the disc drive on my MacBook - it overheated and discs couldn't eject, so I posted a question and got quite good answers, and then liked the forums so I decided to stay. There are some good people on there, like JollyGiant and Carolyn Samit (Two users which post a lot on the forums), but unfortunately you get quite a lot of people posting saying 'I have the same problem' and not really doing much to solve anything.