statik

Upgrading from Tiger to Leopard

Hello I am currently running OSX 10.4.11 on my computer.

I want to upgrade to Leopard since I can't upgrade to snow leopard because I'm not on an intel mac.

I bought a Leopard disc, but when I go to install it says I must have OSX 10.4 or higher and it can't find it.

Is there anything I can do? Does It just not recognize something as high as 10.4.11?

Can I revert to an older 10.4 to do the upgrade. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help

Are you trying to do an "Upgrade" or a "Clean Install"? I would try a wipe and install, the disc shouldn't care if you have anything installed or not if you are wiping the system first. It would be better in the end anyway. Wiping (instead of upgrading) is a little more work, but it's a better upgrade in the long run.

yeah my mac meets the requirements.

It wouldn't even let me get to the stage to do a clean wipe.

I finally got it to work by repairing my disk with disk utilities, then it recognized I had 10.4 or higher.

now I have a new problem, my audio interface won't work with 10.5. Now I need to upgrade it.

Oh well it was probably time. Thanks for the quick responses.

Just for future reference, the best way to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard ( or from any OS X version to another for that matter ) is to perform a clean install ... and the best way to do so is as follows: Insert the install DVD and reboot your Mac, holding down the option key. This will allow you to boot to the DVD. Then run Disk Utility from the DVD ( Menu Bar has a dropdown menu ) to reformat the HD ( wipe it ). Now install the new version.

This process avoids running the install disc within the current install of OS X and the troubles you encountered.

Edited by Dolphbucs

how soon we all forget... Apple made a H-U-G-E deal about how you didn't need to wave rubber chickens, blabber hocus pocus or cast incantations of any kind to install 10.5. you simply needed to click install. and unless you were running some stupid haxie the upgrade would happen without a hitch. my own testing confirmed this very thing. the only problem I did have with one Mac was with a very obsolete Terminal popup thingy that should have been deleted long before but was long forgotten.

I finally got around to upgrading - rather than clean-installing - three G4 and two Intel boxes (via a Family Pack) last year and had no problems. I want to do a clean install on the G4 boxes but my Office 2004 disc and the three keys for it are several thousand kilometres away and both I and my fiancee keep forgetting to pick it it when we go where it is. (We're due back there in September. I also plan to upgrade the Intel boxes to Snow Leopard but given that they are little more than media centres there's no real hurry. Still, it'll be this year - and they will be clean installs.