Apple Geek

Exporting Safari Bookmarks

Ok, I'm not sure if this can be accomplished by Automator or by AppleScript but I'm putting this here anyway. Simply put, I would like to make an automatic backup of my Safari Bookmarks every month. My hope is this "automatic action" would export the bookmarks into a folder and overwrite the existing file that will already be there. I plan on just launching this via an iCal event and hopefully this could happen in the background with maybe a simple sound or dialog to indicate that it has finished. I don't have much experience with either Automator or AppleScript so any help would be appreciated. I've scoured the internet looking for an action that may have already been made but I was unsuccessful in finding one (if anyone knows of good places to download Automator actions and AppleScripts I'd love to hear about those too!).

Anyway this sounds like such a simple action but I'm having trouble going about making it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you considered using X-Marks ? It will sync your Safari bookmarks to the cloud automatically and that way you can access all your bookmarks on any computer you wish.

Funny thing is, I am using Xmarks right now. But currently I only launch it once a month to sync. For some reason, I don't really feel like it needs to be running all the time in the background because syncing once a month will be good enough for me. Since I don't need access to my bookmarks on more than one computer I don't have a need for any of the other features of Xmarks. I just figured that an automator action or applescript that would run automatically would eliminate my need for a separate application and take one step out of the equation.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just keep using Xmarks. But my little mind keeps telling me that it wants this to happen with one of the "automatic" options.

Thanks for your help.

For what reason do you want to create a backup folder just of your bookmarks? Isn't this included in your backup strategy already?....

Anyway can think of a few ways you might try to do this... you could try attaching a folder action the the safari bookmarks folder. The action could be to copy the bookmark to your backup folder. Since folder actions used the file as the the input to the workflow this could mean everytime you add a bookmark in Safari it would automatically copy it to your backup folder. If the backup folder was a dropbox folder for example that would mean you could also have access to all your bookmarks on the road.