Sign in to follow this  
isaiah1112

Move you Dashboard Widgets to the Desktop!

I have heard of many users who have recently purchased Tiger but instead of using Dashboard they continued to use Konfabulator. Why? Because, they said, your Dashboard widgets were only available when Dashboard was active and the Konfabulator widgets were always active.

Who said that Tiger can’t do that too?

Open the terminal and issue the following command

defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES

Then log out of your user and log back in. You have now just reloaded the Dashboard preferences with your change. To move a widget to the desktop where it will always be visible open your Dashboard environment and activate the Widget toolbox by clicking on the + button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen (Option – Apple - (plus/equal) will also accomplish this). Click and drag the widget you want into the Dashboard area and then close dashboard using your hotkey command! The widget now will remain on your desktop until you close it while in the Dashboard environment.

I will be releasing an update for Widget Compiler on my site that will have the command line setup function built in for those of you who are not sure of poking around in the Terminal. Check my site soon for the update!

Dashboard does this "out of the box" AFAIK (mine does anyway). You don't need to type anything into the terminal or log in and out. Hit F12, open your Widget tray, drag the required Widget onto the desktop, keeping hold of it whilst you hit F12 again to close Dashboard and then just drop the Widget onto the desktop. Job done.

Yeah, we all know that you can do that, but the widget is only temporary, and you can only do one widget at a time. This terminal change allows the widgets to stay on your screen all of the time, even after logging out. I was going to post this tip! Anyway, I love it, and I'm looking at my digital clock widget, and my sticky-note widget floating right in front of the safari window. I love it!

http://www.macintoshblog.blogspot.com

macintoshblog@gmail.com

...the widget is only temporary, and you can only do one widget at a time. This terminal change allows the widgets to stay on your screen all of the time, even after logging out...
Ok.. That's good...Now I see why you would use the Terminal command to do this, but the original post mentioned nothing about multiple widgets or about them being permanent when logging out. It just said "The widget now will remain on your desktop until you close while in the Dashboard environment." This functionality is what I was referring to in my post. Maybe the original poster should have been a little more explicit, but a good tip nontheless now we know it has extra functionality after the Terminal command.. Cheers..

Sorry about the small typo. What I meant to say was, “the wiget(s) will remain on your desktop until you close them while you are in the Dashboard Environment!” (At least this seems to be the case on my workstation) The terminal command does make them permanent. Sorry about the confusing description but I am glad that you liked the tip!