Sign in to follow this  
R94N

Twitter desktop clients

Hi, I am sick of having to fire up Safari every time I want to post on Twitter, so I've decided I'm going to look for a Twitter client. I have taken a quick look around the Internet and there's loads. What clients do you guys use and what experiences have you had with them - how reliable are they, what features do they have etc.

Also, are there any paid clients and if so what extra features do these have?

Thanks for any advice.

I love Twitter!

Tweetie is my desktop tool of choice.

• multiple accounts
  • remembers "where you are in your feed"
  • previews short URLs
  • shows just the linked photo or image in a window.
  • direct messages are displayed by user not in one long thread.
  • ad supported free or pay one low price

the best feature is it puts a dot under your account avatar for new tweets, new @ and new D messages.

Edited by johnfoster

Second vote for Tweetie. It hasn't been updated in a while but it is very nice and works well. I wouldn't pay for it, Twitter required that the ads that used to be in the app be taken out after July 1 because of some new Twitter advertising. I never payed for it to begin with because the ads weren't that bad, but now they aren't even there.

OK then, I might try that. Thanks a lot :)

the good thing about twitter apps is that there is practically zero barrier for trying out different clients as the configuration is your name and password. once that's in you can read, tweet without doing damage to what you already have. if you decide you don't like it after a trial deleting it gets it gone. one thing that I found was how quickly I "settled" for the app I'm using and how after using it for almost a year I'm not really interested trying out other things. unlike a year ago there are 40+ different twitter clients. meaning a survey to find what's the new awesome will take a few days of review.