ipodman

Found iPhone

Ok so my dad found an iphone and we want to return it to the owner. It ran out of battery before we could get any details off it, we charged it up but its come up with the passcode screen.

Is there any way to get the data off the iPhone thats not through itunes? or maybe get the sim card out and put it in another phone and get numbers?

thanks

open iTunes, click the iPhone icon and the phone number and the name of the owner will be visible even if the phone is has a pass code. call the phone and leave a voice mail message.

also if the person is running "find my iPhone" you will eventually see a message from it's owner. it might also get a text message from somebody. as long as a "name" isn't entered for the contact the number will be revealed. then, using your own phone you can TXT that person back to have them contact the phones owner another way (like email or other phone #).

Edited by johnfoster

it doesnt show up in itunes, it just comes up with

"iTunes could not connect the iPhone "name" because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone before it can be used with itunes"

ok now it says "iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes"

still can't get into it, should I try and restore it? If I do restore it will it need reactivating or something, I just need the ph number.

and also i tried to put the sim in another phone and its different to my other one. Its kinda got a smaller chip size, like the whole thing is the same size but just the metal bit in the middle is smaller.

ok now it says "iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes"

still can't get into it, should I try and restore it? If I do restore it will it need reactivating or something, I just need the ph number.

and also i tried to put the sim in another phone and its different to my other one. Its kinda got a smaller chip size, like the whole thing is the same size but just the metal bit in the middle is smaller.

If you have an Apple Store nearby take it to them and they'll know what to do.

Alternativly, call Apple and they'll walk you through what to do.

It sounds like the phone has already been locked remotely?

You can try doing a restore and at least the Serial Number would then show up in iTunes.