Sign in to follow this  
milopus

1 Linksys N router + 1 Airport Express (G) = 1 network?

home network issue.

Most of what I have found on Google does not hard wire the routers together but uses one as a wireless bridge, but that is not what I want to do.

I am trying to set up a home wifi network with a two routers with a few functions:

-an 802.11n network for a Macbook Pro—specifically for extra speed and range

-an 802.11g network for a Powerbook G4 as well as iPhone and other devices including guests that come to the house

-Airtunes capability

-USB bonjour printer for all machines

Right now, this is what I have to work with:

-ADSL modem (I'm in Thailand)

-Linksys WRT160N -for n network as well as a hub wired to a Mac Mini and Airport Express

-Airport Express (older b/g version) has speakers and an HP laserjet for bonjour printing

The modem and both routers are placed together near the MacMini and printer at the ground floor of my house. Right now they all have the same SSID at the same channel. I want to limit the number of machines that use each router at one time so as to maximize speed. Both routers have the same MAC address, the Linksys is set to both g/n.

So here are some problems/issues that I have had.

-When the Linksys was set to only n, my wife's Powerbook got very poor reception, and so I had to change the Linksys to g/n. But my MacBook Pro usually connects in n no problem.

-the Mac Mini and Powerbook G4 (Leopard) have printing issues where I have to delete the HP bonjour printer and reinstall each time due to a communication error. My MacBookPro (Snow Leopard) has no problems printing.

-Airtunes on all machines sometimes skips when running iTunes' remote speakers

-the MacBookPro has no problems with screen sharing or other LAN connectivity with the Mini and Powerbook.

-oftentimes, after a few hours of not using the internet on a machine, my browser upon launch takes me to my ISP's landing page before I can go to any other page.

I really like the speed and range boost of the Linksys N, and I am not sure how to fix the printing issues.

Any advice/recommendation would be helpful. Thank you.

I've done a similar is less speedy technique, combining a Netear router for G with an old Apple Airport Base Station for B, the G for my Wii an the B for my 2001 Ti PowerBook (which is only 802.11B.) Not exactly cutting edge technology, but similar.

Since it seems to work (sometimes), I assume you disabled the automatic distribution of IP addresses (DHCP) in the Airport Express so the Linksys would manage the network and the Airport Express would be a dumb wifi switch.

I would think you'd want to set the two routers on different channels so they wouldn't interfere with each other. Get them 3-4 channels numbers apart from each other (and from the neighbors, if any.)

I don't understand why you'd use the same SSID. I would think that would make it hard to tell which device you were connecting to.

I don't understand why you cloned the same MAC address on the routers (I'd expect that to be confusing to the network.)

I find my network worked much more reliably when I assigned my devices fixed (static) IP addresses instead of using DHCP. Each device gets a different IP address, in the same subnet as the DHCP server is using (probably 192.168.0.** or 192.168.1.** if the Linksys is in charge), but also an IP address that's out of the range of the DHCP address the router is assigning (e.g., the Linksys may be using 192.168.1.100 for the first DHCP address it allocates, so 192.168.1.7 or 192.168.1.203 would be IP adresses it wouldn't try to issue to a DHCP-using client computer.)

If you use one of your laptops away from home, giving it a static IP address might be inconvenient (since you'd need to change to use DHCP to use at a coffee shop or work.) In that case, I suggest static addresses for just the mini & Airport Express.)

Those are my thoughts.