Hans

OSX thinks SeaMonkey is open, except it isn'tt

For some time when I try to open the browser SeaMonkey, I get the following error message:

Close SeaMonkey

A copy of SeaMonkey is already open. Only one copy of SeaMonkey can be open at a time.

Which is great, but it isn't open; I might even have just restarted my Mac (the desktop G4).

I can only assume that there is a file somewhere that has become corrupt somehow.

I remember having a problem like this ages ago, on my old Quadra 800 probably, but I don't remember how that problem was resolved, and I suspect that the solution would be different now anyway.

So does anyone have any suggestions about how to solve this problem?

I'm rather fond of SeaMonkey as a browser and would like to be able to use it again, especially as I'm using Opera as a replacement and it's giving me fits.

Edited by Hans

I believe that's a message from SeaMonkey, not OSX. I've seen similar in Firefox. It means the profile is locked (probably from an application abort, OSX crash, or powering off the Mac while SeaMonkey was open.)

Try looking for a file named ".parentlock" in your SeaMonkey profile folder. I'm not sure where that is for SeaMonkey. With Fireflox, I find it in my home Library/"Application Support"/Firefox/Profiles/xxxxxxxxxx.default folder (where "xxxxxxx" is a random profile name). As a guess, see if there's a SeaMonkey folder in your ~/Library/"Application Support" folder, and look in there for a Profiles folder

Making it more complicated is the fact that a file whose name starts with a period (such as .parentlock) is automatically hidden by Finder, so you might need to dig down with the Terminal or use some tricks to get Finder to show you the hidden files ( http://osxdaily.com/2009/02/25/show-hidden-files-in-os-x/ ).

I would also browse around in your Activity Monitor and see if there is anything remotely related to SeaMonkey running (make sure you are looking at "All Process" and not just "My Processes"). Also check your startup items folder and/or Login Items in the System Preferences. SeaMonkey may have installed something to run at startup and that's why you are still getting the message on a reboot.

Thanks to you both.

I checked those (again), Apple Geek, just to be sure: nothing.

After a bit of pondering, car1son, I took your suggestion and used it differently. I've had to make invisible files visible before when my internal music drive and external backup drive both failed within hours of each other, and I had to extract my music files from my iPod. They came out invisible. I also considered the fact that I was several updates behind, even after I had tried installing a new update to cure the problem. Since my bookmarks and such were located elsewhere, I deleted SeaMonkey's 'Application Support' folder. That by itself didn't cure the problem (as I expected), so I installed a newer version of SeaMonkey, which now solved the problem by writing a completely new Application Support folder. I had to fuss with making the connections to my old bookmark (etc.) files and eliminate some duplicates, but that was pretty straightforward.

Edited by Hans