ampnerd

How do I convert an mp3 file into a Podcast file (m4v)?

ampnerd    0

I also have a slightly more complicated question if anyone out there has the know how.

I like to listen to the Anderson Cooper AC360 video podcast every day. For some reason every couple of weeks an episode will have messed up audio. Instead of the music (intro theme song) and dialog being in stereo the music will be on one side only and the dialog on the other. This makes it impossible to listen to unless you slightly pull the headphone jack out which effectively shorts the L&R signals together and gives you mono in both earpieces. This is a pain in the butt though. So I thought, maybe it's possible to extract the audio from the screwed up m4v file, convert the L&R channels into summed mono and re-attach to the video file.

I've got the first bit done successfully, I have a summed mono audio mp3. In my original question I could simply convert this to a m4v file and at least I would have an audio only version of the podcast which I could listen to without having to resort to jamming my headphone jack halfway into my iPhone. But I thought it would be interesting to go one step further and combine the new audio with the original video. I tried using mpeg streamclip and was able to delete the audio from the video file but how do I add back the new modified audio?

Oh, and of course my original question, if I just want to listen to my mono summed audio only version of the podcast, how do I make it appear in iTunes as a podcast instead of an mp3 music file? I thought I could simply change the extension but I guess not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Edited by ampnerd

johnfoster    48

wow. you must really, really like Anderson Cooper. here's what I would do.open the video in QuickTime Player. you'll need to have upgraded it to "pro" for this to work.next type Command - J or select the Show Movie Properties from the Window menu.click on the sound track from the list.on the right side you'll see a box with Right and Left. those are menus.

leftright.png

change them to Mono and Mono.

monomono.png

close the properties window. play the movie in glorious mono! if you "save" it these setting will stay stuck.

Edited by johnfoster

johnfoster    48

if you want audio only you can use this same window to Extract the MP3 or M4A track. just select the audio track and push the big button in the upper left corner of the window. then save the file.

ampnerd    0

if you want audio only you can use this same window to Extract the MP3 or M4A track. just select the audio track and push the big button in the upper left corner of the window. then save the file.

Totally awesome John, Many thanks for taking the time to explain. Much easier than I thought. I didn't realize it could be changed "mono'ized" that way in Quicktime Pro. I am just curious though if for any reason I want to take an mp3 or AIFF file, say one that I've created and make it into a m4v file, mainly just so it shows up in my Podcast directory as opposed to getting lost in my large music library, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks again

Sean

johnfoster    48

make an Automator task. it's pretty easy. this one took me about 10 minutes to get working in a useful way. I used the day and month found in Variables tab to get the date data to make the name. you can easily change all this stuff to make it more specific if you want. the downside was that I could not get it to work inserting it as a "podcast" so you'll have to be happy with a playlist.

automator-import.png

and here's the result that over in iTunes. note the top part which is how it looks in the playlist. and the rest of this is from the Get Info:

automator-result.png

normally I'd be happy to upload the "automator script" for this. but I think it's better that you open it up and play with it yourself. there's lots of power in Automator. the <i>only</i> way to learn it is to open it up and make stuff.

Edited by johnfoster

ampnerd    0

Awesome John, thanks very much for that. I copied your Automator task and it works great. And to change it to a podcast file you simply "Get Info" for the file and in options change the media kind to podcast.

Thanks

Sean