Apple Geek

Gmail HELP please!!

I couldn't find any better place to put this so I'm hoping this works.

I'll try not to make this too confusing. I just set up my email account from my college to forward to one of my gmail accounts this morning. I used the trick of adding a '+...' on the end of my gmail account name so I could possibly differentiate between my regular gmail emails and ones that were forwarded from my school's address. I have a filter set up to add a label to any email that is sent to the '+...' address. And when I manually forwarded the emails already in my school account to that address this morning, the filter worked fine. However, I received a new email to my school account later this morning and while it correctly forwarded to my gmail account, the label was not applied to the message. When I checked the details on the header, the "To:" address was still a 'listserv' like how it would show up in my school email inbox. Now, I'm guessing that all subsequent emails that are forwarded will not be "To: '...+...@gmail.com'" but rather the original address from my school account. So, while I have my filter set to mark any messages that are sent to that +... gmail account if none of them are going to fit that criteria, I'll need to change my filter. But that's my main problem - I don't know what criteria is going to work best: what is going to be a universal "marker" from all the messages that are forwarded from school that I can specify in my gmail filters? Is this a limitation of my school's forwarding system or am I going about this the wrong way?

Ok, while I know what I'm trying to say I'm sure I did a terrible job of relaying that to you guys. If you have any suggestions to help me out, I would really appreciate it. And, if I need to explain things more, I'd be happy to do that as well.

I would use Mail or Thunderbird having either log into the accounts rather than forward mail from this to that. to keep track of what is what set up a Rule to set the color of messages by account.

I should have clarified. I do use Mail when I'm on my Mac, however when I'm at work I have to access everything through a web browser. The web version of our school's email system is absolute rubbish and I can't stand using it. I know Gmail and I'm comfortable using it. Plus, I already have two other Gmail accounts. Being able to consolidate my school's mail into one of those accounts would cut down on the amount of logging in and such I have to do every day.

But that aside, regardless of whether this is the smartest way for me to get my mail, my original question is still unanswered. Is what I want to do possible?

forwarding email is a brain dead server function. it just takes the message as is, tacks a new address on it and flings. it usually doesn't put a FW or other stamp on it. that said, you could make the rule that tags your mail based on something "school server unique" that you'd find in the headers of the email. stuff that comes for a list server, for example, might not have a from/to that you can filter but if you look in the headers you can find all kinds of clues that you could parse on. but alas gmail is lame and doesn't let you filter by anything other then the 6 options they offer.

Maybe I don't understand how the forwarding works, but why doesn't my school server put a new "To" address on it (or at least add it in some way). To me, it seems like my school server is just acting like an open door and letting the mail through rather than a closed door that looks at the mail and then re-address it to go to my new email address. I would love for it to work like my second analogy, but am I wrong in thinking that a forwarding server can work like that?

Thanks for all your replies.

if you look at the raw headers you'll see the exactly how the server is adding info to get the mail (forward) to your gmail inbox. there