joshr

3 routers to do the job of 2 that have bridging

I have a Belkin router, the f5d7234 v1000, which has wireless bridging. I needed to extend my network so I ordered another one, or thought I did. What I got was f5d7234 v5 which does not have wireless bridging but will act as an access point. I also have sitting around another Belkin G router that doesn't have bridging. What I am wondering is can I the new router to connect to the bases station wirelessly but only act as an access point then connect run a wire from that router to the 3rd one. Then use the 3rd one to broadcast the network again. Belkin says the only way you can setup an access point is with a cable connection so the answer is likely no but I figured I would aks and see if maybe they just were not understanding what I need.

So one more A is the base, B is an accesspoint that is connected wirelessly but not broadcasting the network C has a cable coming from the access point and is broadcasting the network wirelessly.

depending on the router if you plug an ethernet cable into the LAN side (not the WAN side) it will automatically extend the network. the linksys routers work like this.

depending on the router if you plug an ethernet cable into the LAN side (not the WAN side) it will automatically extend the network. the linksys routers work like this.

Understood but I want to wirelessly extend the network. After doing some more work on this it seems like this is a dead end. The ability to make it an access point is so that you can add a wireless component to a wired network. It won't wirelessly connect to the network.

the mode to extend is called WDS. it let's a router talk to a router in a way that allows all the machines on the network to see it the same no matter which end your are on. so you get the same DHCP server, same IP and same security. thing is that most older routers don't support WDS. or a router maker will disable the feature so that it can only share with the same family of routers. the idea is that you have to plan for the feature. you can't just dumb luck make it work grow into it.

if DD-WRT supported your routers you could re-flash them to that to get the feature. but sadly, there isn't enough flash RAM in the Belkin devices to make that happen.

the mode to extend is called WDS. it let's a router talk to a router in a way that allows all the machines on the network to see it the same no matter which end your are on. so you get the same DHCP server, same IP and same security. thing is that most older routers don't support WDS. or a router maker will disable the feature so that it can only share with the same family of routers. the idea is that you have to plan for the feature. you can't just dumb luck make it work grow into it.

if DD-WRT supported your routers you could re-flash them to that to get the feature. but sadly, there isn't enough flash RAM in the Belkin devices to make that happen.

Yes, the plan was to have ordered the same router as the one I have, which has wireless bridging but alas I can't find it anywhere and the ones that I ordered thinking it was the same was not.

Belkin is a hardware sourcing company. think brand on a box. this is not a bad thing entirely. except when you expect a single product to work with the entire line of products. one model could look the same but have entirely different guts compared to the version before it.