Sign in to follow this  

Upgrading Cube: Hardware Suggestions

I think what I've learned from all of this (before I've done anything) that any upgrades are pretty much for the enjoyment of doing it, not really to gain much productivity in the process. Am I still going to upgrade the cube? Hell yes!

- MT

Mtorbin please i beg you tell me how fast it is and give me your opinion and if it was worth it performance wise. (I would love to do something like that to a CLAMSHELL!

Mtorbin please i beg you tell me how fast it is and give me your opinion and if it was worth it performance wise. (I would love to do something like that to a CLAMSHELL!

From what I hear, this would be impossible with the clamshell.

- MT

From what I hear, this would be impossible with the clamshell.

- MT

Yeah it has limited upgrade capacity.

And a G3 is a G3 is a G3.

The only things that are upgradable are the HD and the RAM, but the HD is one of the hardest upgrades a tech can do in the Mac World.

- MT

mTorbin, is there any chance of stuffing a Mac Mini into the cube? It would save you a lot of work. :wink:

-NK

Cute... very cute. The Mac Mini, as nice as it is, has one flaw that I don't like. You can't get into the unit to upgrade it (oh, and it's not nearly as cool as the cube).

I'll be ordering two upgrades (one for the cube and one for my Dual 533) this week so I'll let you know how it goes. By the time I'm done, I'll have 1.2Ghz Cube and a Dual 1.2Ghz Tower. Yeah BA-BY Yeah!

- MT

Sounds like a great project Matt. You'll enjoy it.

I restored a Cube just a few months ago. It had some problems, but had everything with it, including the "eyeball" speakers. I had to replace the RAM, HD and CD/DVD drives, but it's up and running as a "guest" computer in my office. it always gets everyone's attention.

I installed a 80G drive, and 1G of RAM. it's still a 450 Mhz, but it does internet, office and basic music applications just fine.

The drive installs weren't too bad, just a little tight! ;)

Your price on RAM is about the lowest I've seen it for.

Good luck and have fun!

Alan