Neal

iPhone 4, 1 minute behind

My iPhone 4 is always one minute behind. If my computer is 10:00 o’clock then my iPhone says it’s 9:59. Has anyone else seen this or know how to fix it without manually setting the time?

A man with one clock knows the time, a man with two isn't sure.

I've had this problem since I got my iPod touch, and now since I've had my iPhone 4. That leads me to believe it has to do with the OS. Sorry, I don't have a fix for you - I'm only stating that I've experienced the same.

I've had this problem since I got my iPod touch, and now since I've had my iPhone 4. That leads me to believe it has to do with the OS. Sorry, I don't have a fix for you - I'm only stating that I've experienced the same.

I’m glad to hear others are experiencing the same issue. Maybe this is something that should be reported to Apple as a bug?

so a quick check of the office reveals that every clock in the place is off:

dueling microwaves in the kitchen display two different times.

phone system clock is 11 minutes behind.

iPhone in my pocket is at least 15 seconds in front of the my Mac.

the new file server I just built running FreeBSD is within seconds of the Mac. it's getting it's time from the same time server which explains that.

the clock in the H4 sound recorder is never set.

time in the Canon camera is close enough for pictures.

LiveScribe pen is an hour and 3 minutes slow.

last generation iPod Nano which hasn't been sync'd in at least 6 months was in the same minute as the Mac.

Edited by johnfoster

so a quick check of the office reveals that every clock in the place is off:

dueling microwaves in the kitchen display two different times.

phone system clock is 11 minutes behind.

iPhone in my pocket is at least 15 seconds in front of the my Mac.

the new file server I just built running FreeBSD is within seconds of the Mac. it's getting it's time from the same time server which explains that.

the clock in the H4 sound recorder is never set.

time in the Canon camera is close enough for pictures.

LiveScribe pen is an hour and 3 minutes slow.

last generation iPod Nano which hasn't been sync'd in at least 6 months was in the same minute as the Mac.

I understand your point, but that's not quite the point that Neal and I are trying to make. Of course it's logical that your microwave and various clocks around the house are different - manually putting in the time is always going to cause some differentiation. What Neal and I are trying to figure out is why something (the iPhone) that we [theoretically] sync with our computers every day doesn't stay in-sync and why it is consistently about a minute slower. As Neal suggested, this is probably just a tiny software bug that should be reported to Apple.

there are four ways for an iPhone to get time. GPS, cellular network, internet time server, and sync'd using a Mac or PC. on a Mac or a PC there are two which are network sync and manual setup. however, once the clock is set it will stay mostly accurate for only a few hours before you start to notice time drift. a computer clock could be off by minutes after just 24 hours. a NIST lookup will correct this if you have it set to sync. in older versions of Mac OS you could set when it did the lookup. but now it's just a check box for sync time or don't.

computers in general a pretty shitty time keepers. they just have to be close for the most part. they drift because crystals that drive them don't have to be exact. that 2.93GHz processor doesn't need an exact 2.93GHz clock to run it. at some point close enough is good enough. AC power plays a part in keeping time accurate. power is power right? but magnetic variation of the Earth can change that slightly during the day. ask a power engineer about the difference between making power during the day and making it at night.

another problem that you will never be able to rid yourself of is packet latency. so even if you have a way to sync all of your devices there will always be slight variance between them due to packet arrival based on the number of hops (you can see this with traceroute) the packet has to take to get to its destination. and that will vary depending on how much traffic is on your network. here PING times vary as much as 50%!

PING knowtech.tv (69.163.176.66): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 69.163.176.66: icmp_seq=0 ttl=54 time=93.028 ms

64 bytes from 69.163.176.66: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=59.963 ms

64 bytes from 69.163.176.66: icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=60.427 ms

64 bytes from 69.163.176.66: icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=58.070 ms

64 bytes from 69.163.176.66: icmp_seq=4 ttl=54 time=79.704 ms

64 bytes from 69.163.176.66: icmp_seq=5 ttl=54 time=76.024 ms

c64 bytes from 69.163.176.66: icmp_seq=6 ttl=54 time=66.016 ms

64 bytes from 69.163.176.66: icmp_seq=7 ttl=54 time=59.513 ms

all that said, that you are seeing two different times is not a bug. it's the nature of this stuff. it's why it's covered in the Legal for the product (this was found in this document):

You further acknowledge that the Apple software and services are not intended or suitable for use in situations or environments where the failure or time delays of, or Errors or inaccuracies in the content, data or information provided by, the apple software or services could lead to death, personal Injury, or severe physical or environmental damage, including without limitation the operation of nuclear facilities, aircraft navigation Or communication systems, air traffic control, life support or weapons systems.

which basically says, "our clock sucks. don't use it for flying."

Edited by johnfoster