R94N

Old Mac stuff!

I saw another thread on Macrumors about this, and I thought it was great. Apologies if there's been a thread on here about this before, but I think it would be an interesting subject to discuss.

1. What 'retro'/'old' Macs do you have in your collection?

2. What is your favourite old Mac?

For me, I only have a modern MacBook and an iPod Shuffle so I'm not that interesting on that front. As to my favourite old Mac, I love the Macintosh Plus, although there have been loads of awesome ones through the years.

What about you guys?

I have a Mac Plus in the closet. It gets dragged out & booted every now and then for show & tell.

I have a Mac IIcx (OS7) with a pair of unusual NuBus cards that do real-time video processing in conjunction with some software I wrote for them. It still does the job it did back in 1990, and I use it a couple of times a month. (Unfortunately, a IIcx has no media in common with any modern Mac. So I still have a functional PPC8600 tower (OS9) that can swap files with the IIcx via Appletalk/Localtalk or 800K DS diskette. A Mac IIsi with PDS-to-NuBus adapter is in the closet as a backup for the IIcx.)

I've never replaced a Mac because it failed. I get a new one for the greater speed & storage to handle new media.

I have a Mac Plus in the closet. It gets dragged out & booted every now and then for show & tell.

Cool, I love the 'dinky' little design of the Plus, although I love the iBook Clamshells as well.

I've never replaced a Mac because it failed. I get a new one for the greater speed & storage to handle new media.

A simple search of almost any Mac forum will find users who are exactly the same as you :-) I am hoping my '09 MB will last as long as some of your machines will....!

Thanks for replying!

Edited by R94N

I have a collections of Newtons: 100, 110, 120, 130 and a 2000. I had a eMate but it was stolen by some chump at meet up. Mac wise I have some odd things that I decided to keep. a PowerBook 100 which was a work of art compared to the other models released at that time. there's a working Quadra 950. it has 128 meg of RAM and a 10G disk array made from 5.25" hard drives. I kept it because it was the last of it's kind.

even older is an Apple //c+ prototype. this is the //c that came with a 3.5" internal floppy. which forced everyone who bought it to get a 5.25" drive along with it. if you open the case you can see all the rework (blue wire wrap soldered in place) that had to be done on the motherboard. I also have a bootleg Apple II.

now get ready to gasp. as we recently had to downsize the office I didn't have room to keep everything. so I off'd a Quadra 605, Quadra 840av, a Power Computing 604e powered something, a four pack of 2nd gen iMacs (yeah colors!), an LC II, and 9 other macs too old to have any useful purpose. the new home for this stuff was quite excited to get it all.

memory lane. but you know, I don't miss the glass.

Wow! That sounds pretty awesome. I used image search a lot whilst I read your post ;)

Sadly, I no longer have any of my old Macs or other Apple devices. Kinda wish I had kept some of them...

Nostalgically speaking, my faviourite Mac was my Mac Plus. Had such a great time with that machine learning about all sorts of technology. ClarisWorks was totally awesome.

My most useful Mac was probably my 12" PowerBook. It was with me through much of university and a couple years on the job. It went through a couple hard drives, and looked pretty beat up, but that was a workhorse of a machine!

one of the very best Macs I ever used was a Powerbook 250 aka Wallstreet. I bought it from a Stanford student that needed the money to buy a newer model. I used this Mac for the next 3 years as a development machine. it was awesome in 4 ways. the utility bays were flexible you could run with dual batteries. you could replace the CD with a DVD, Zip Drive or another Hard drive. it had a colored logo on the inside bevel. the screen was 1024x768. which was just a luxury in a laptop. compared to a 800x600 screen it was big and open. but the biggest thing for me was that it was just as fast as a desktop Mac for most of it's useful life.

As I think about the topic, I must admit that EVERY Mac/Apple machine I have owned has been my favorite while it was my main machine. So, currently, I think my iPad is my fave, though, I couldn't really live with it alone. I still need my desktop (which is now a somewhat ancient Core Duo).

I still have 4 'lampshade' (my DA calls then iBoobs) iMacs, 3 'colored' iMacs (1 with dead power supply), 2 clamshell 'colored' iBooks, a Dual USB Ibook (dead power supply), 2 G5 iMacs (dead logic boards), a Powerbook 1400cs (would work if I could find the power supply), 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen iPods, a second gen Nano, a wahtever the last gen iPod Touch, and an original iPhone, 3G and 3 GS iPhones (The GS is my phone).

My Apple ][ and (I think) 512K Mac were moved on and, as far as I know, still in use,

What can I say, I have issues with letting go/being a pack rat. :rolleyes:

Macs that I have owned that sucked:

Mac Si was seriously sloooow when there was no reason for it to be. a Mac LC had a slower clock but was able to keep up with it. it (the Si) was one of the first Macs to share video RAM with real RAM. and if you compared it a Mac SE/30 (which could have loads of RAM and allowed processor upgrades) it didn't have a chance to shine.

any of the Centris macs. what tard ever thought that releasing this series was a good idea. sure, it used the idea of selling everything that was available which every electronics company does. you know, covering all price points without sacrificing the high end. to do that they took cost reduced processors and smaller hard drives and put them on boards they already made. both made for a cheaper Mac. but dang these things were turds. on top of that these things had ridiculously long names: Apple Macintosh Centris 610. if it was called a Centris 610 then nobody knew it was a Mac. Apple was seriously brand confused in the early 90's.

I had hate for the Mac 4400 which was the shared spec motherboard for the Motorola and other clones. cheap case, cheap square box, cheap fans. I had one of the clones and while it performed okay it was only because it cost half of what a mac cost that I put up with it. stupidly there was no way to sell it for anywhere close to what I'd paid for it so we used it until it was just slow for day to day work. why the hate? 3rd party video boards and capture boards always had issues. it was a timing thing earning it the seal of POS.

the first generation PowerPC which was a 7100. why the hate? it's NuBus was clocked at 33MHz to accommodate the 66MHz processor. my main video capture board didn't work in it because of that so I had to hang on to an 840A/V to do that work. eventually the roof leaked and it got water damaged and I said good riddance.

1st Gen Aluminum PowerBook. it was given to me otherwise I wouldn't have owned it. it had screen issues. heat issues. and eventually the bottom RAM slot failed. when the time came to get a newer Mac I gave it to somebody else because taking money for that thing just seemed wrong. as it turned out the person I regifted it to thought it was the best thing ever.

Edited by johnfoster

Very interesting post John. I am way too young to remember any of the PowerPC Macs, and I wasn't even around when computers like the SE/30 were around :( I think I missed out on a lot of stuff.

Great thread! Thanks for starting it.

The first Mac I used was the original 128KB machine when it came out. A friend in my dorm had one, but I could not afford one (not even close because they were big bucks back then). I eventually got a Mac Plus years later, which was the same form factor and a great computer. My all-time favorite, though, was my PowerBook 12 inch 1.5 GHz. Rock solid reliable. Fast. Portable in the extreme. I got compliments on that machine for the whole 3 years I used it. I replaced it with a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz which is obviously a better performer, but it is not as much fun to use, and it's big at 15".

As for vintage Macs, I still use my old 2001 Titanium PowerBook 15" 400 MHz every day. For my business I need an old program that only runs in Mac OS 9, and so that's the computer I use. I use the MacBook Pro 2.4 GHZ for everything else. That titanium laptop has been beaten to hell for nearly 10 years, and it still runs fine. The only thing that has been changed in it is the hard drive, and that was for a speed and capacity increase, not a hard drive failure. I also have an old PowerMac 9500 which still runs great. It has a G3 upgrade card in it and a better video card than it came with.

I've got some other old Macs, too, but these are the highlights. Again, thanks for starting a great thread.

Great thread! Thanks for starting it.

No worries! I find this kind of thing really interesting. It wasn't really even my idea...I kinda stole it from the Macrumors forums of which I also post on under the same username :P

My favorite mac of all times is the first flat screen, "snowball" iMac G4. It was the first mac I had.

It was amazing machine. I wish Apple would still do something "crazy" like that.