podgirl

Don't want to download SD shows

podgirl    0

I live in Canada where we have caps on the amounts of bandwidth we can use. Our package allows for 60 GB/mth which is usually fine, however Netflix just came to Canada, so we'll be streaming shows and using up more bandwidth. When you buy an HD TV show from iTunes you also automatically get the SD version, which is about half a GB, but sometimes I really don't need the SD version (which is for putting it on an iPhone/iPod touch). If I delete the SD as it's starting to download it reappears the next time I log in and will never truly go away. Does anyone know how to not download the SD versions?

Daniel D    0

Hi podgirl,

I saw your post and wasn't aware that this is how HD downloads from the iTunes Store work, so tested it out for myself.

From what I can tell, there's no way to avoid downloading the SD version; I found this forum thread which may be of interest:

http://forums.macwor...wnload-forever/

It seems Apple do it this way to provide maximum convenience to those people who may also want to be able to watch their content on their iPods etc..

However in your case I can see why you'd rather not download the SD versions, especially if you have no intention of using them.

I suggest sending some feedback to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/

It surely couldn't be too difficult for them to add an option to iTunes to download ONLY the HD version.

Regards,

Daniel

podgirl    0

Thanks Daniel, that forum thread was very interesting. I will definitely send the feedback to Apple, although I think they would say, well, just buy more bandwidth.

pwbeninate    0

I live in Canada where we have caps on the amounts of bandwidth we can use.

Just curious, are there no unlimited data plans in Canada at all? Or are they just very expensive?

podgirl    0

Good question. In Canada we only have about 1/10th of the population of America, so there isn't much choice with everything (that's why it's so much fun for us to go shopping in the States.) I'm with one of the big companies, and its $47=60 GB, $60=80 GB, $70=125 GB and $100=175 GB.

Apparently there is a small company that offers unlimited bandwidth at a cheap price, but I don't know much about it. How do these prices compare to what you get in the States?

pwbeninate    0

I'm with one of the big companies, and its $47=60 GB, $60=80 GB, $70=125 GB and $100=175 GB.

Apparently there is a small company that offers unlimited bandwidth at a cheap price, but I don't know much about it. How do these prices compare to what you get in the States?

Prices in America vary quite a bit depending on how much competition is in an area. I pay $40/month for unlimited 12Mbps down 2 Mbps up. That's one of the best rates around. But as far as i know, all of our plans are unlimited.