Iain

High cost of iTunes store outside USA

Just notice in USA iPad version of Yojimbo cost $9.99. Even though the exchange rate is US$1.00=Aust$0.99, almost the same, the Australian iTunes store sells Yojimbo at $12.99. Now, most time I just get told its shipping cost. Beginning to dislike the dishonesty of the Apple iTunes store. Do the software developers get better profit with overseas sales? I think not, but I know who does.

Apple doesn't set prices for apps, developers do. And, developers get 70% of the price, so they do have a higher profit. However, It's entirely possible that there are other costs involved in Australia so the price is higher than just the exchange rate difference.

I email the developers, and asked the same question. They get the USA price regardless of where it is sold. Looks like I will have start a second iTunes account in USA, going via USA VPN gateway. The only add on cost in Australia is 10% tax, still only making the price Aust$11.00, and not Aust$12.99 The currency exchange on credit card is lot less than Apple markup.

Not exactly - at least for us - we (ScanBizCards) get $3.40 (after Apple's 30%) for sales on the US App Store and $3.82 for sales on the Australian App Store - 12% more.

Good rule of thumb ... never just take the company's word for it. And it's NOT always Apple's fault ;)