eyerobic

Disguising Safari

I'd like some help disguising Safari as a PC running Internet Exploder (of all things).

A web site I need to access requires I do so from a Windows PC running Exploder. :^/

Thanks, Chris

Doesn't work for every site but try this: Make sure you have the "Develop" menu turned on (Safari>>Preferences>>Advanced>>"Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar". Then go to the develop menu: Develop>>User Agent>>Pick your poison. You might have to reload the page for it to take effect and I don't know if it holds across different sessions (quitting and relaunching Safari) but I had a friend who needed IE for a site and it worked for him.

@Apple Geek has the right trick. Another option if you have a copy of Windows lying around would to use virtualization. The new version of Parallels works great and so does VMware, especially for just web surfing. If your tight on funds you can also use Sun VirtualBox which is free.

putting Safari "in burrito" has a few downsides. there are some technology's that require IE to be running because it's using functions that are specific to IE and Windows. if the author expected IE's blend of DOM, DHTML or other Windows specific feature then just faking the browser type won't help. sure, you might be able to get through some of it but most of the time it will flat out fail. I've seen this with government, banking, and insurance sites. the good news is there is no harm in trying it out. and if it works it works!<br><br>YMMV.

Edited by johnfoster