Sign in to follow this  
Ceoltoir

Color in iTunes 10

i'm surprised no one has posted this yet. Ran across a way to get the color back in the left hand column of iTunes.

Source information

Download url

My wife has been using this for several weeks with no issues. i'm forcing myself to try and get used to the new look of iTunes until December before i go ahead and brake down. Unfortunately it does not fix the fugly volume control.

I changed the position of the three buttons in the top left hand corner almost as soon as I downloaded iTunes '10; I didn't like the vertical position at all.

I know loads of people on MacRumors hated the actual program's icon when it first appeared, but it's kind of grown on me. It isn't so bad.

Edited by R94N

my problem with the "grey" icons is that they looked "dimmed" as if the feature is turned off. rolling over the element doesn't "un dim it". so there's no visual cue that the feature is live. I might never click it because of the dimmed out appearance.

there are three elements of UI that help with selection and navigations:

1) position of the UI element. think of this as a target. the larger the target the easier it is to find and select.

2) uniqueness of the target. if all the targets look the same the user will hesitate before making a selection. this is why words surrounded by a box make bad buttons.

3) repetition takes over as the user learns the shape and position of targets making these elements less important. but if you change the order, color or size of the target productivity will plummet. this is why Cancel / OK are always in the same order.

you can see the UI mistake of iTunes 10 immediately after adding color icons back to the app. the icon set that I installed didn't have colored icons for PING (who cares right?), Purchased and Home Sharing. these "features" now look like they are turned off. in this case it's the icon and not the title that is giving that cue.

itunes10color.png

Edited by johnfoster

That's a very good point about greyed out meaning turned off. One of the biggest hurdles for me when i switched to Logic as my main recording software was the grey look of everything. Took some getting used to because, like you said, you have to look twice to make sure you are clicking the one you want.

i could take or leave the new dock icon. Doesn't bother me at all. i'd prefer just a couple of eight notes without the blue circle behind it, but that's just me.