Sign in to follow this  
JohnT

I've got TWO Mail Apps on my iMac!

At the end of September I purchased a new 21.5 iMac. On setting it up, and in order to preserve my settings (particularly iTunes for my iPhone!) I used Migration Assistant to transfer everything across from my original G5 iMac.

Everything went well, Applications upgrading to Snow Leopard where necessary etc. Except..... one day I noticed I now had two Mail Apps folders in the Application folder - one entitled "Mail" and the other "Mail (original)". They both worked identically and, on examination, the contents of their individual packages was also identical - even down to their plists.

Assuming it would cure the problem, I deleted the "Mail (original)" folder. Big mistake!! Now, when entering Mail I was back to the original "Set up a new Account" screen! After re-entering my account details, all was (and still is) back to normal - with the two Mail Apps!

This doesn't really bother me, I just have one icon in the Dock. However it would be nice if some kind soul could enlighten me how I can get rid of that "Mail (original)" folder from my Applications folder!!

Edited by JohnT

Is this still an issue for you John? I haven't personally seen this issue before, however I might be able to give you some pointers on sorting this out if you haven't resolved this yet.

JohnT,

I have noticed the same thing. Unfortunately I can't help you either. Here's my take on why you only got 1 response. Apple software ain't what it use to be. It's still better than that other big company and many small one. But as Apple builds in all these features and user friendly aspects it means when it breaks it really breaks. Use to be you could throw away an extension or preference file and be on your way. Not so any more. My guess is your issue lies deep inside and you are going to have to back up, wipe the drive, reload the system and then drag everything over. No Migration Assistant. I say this because I will also be doing the same soon. I am on the road another week with a mail app that appears to lock but actually sends things 2 and 3 times. Rules it doesn't obey and mail messages it refuses to move. I also have an iPhoto library that locks up ever 3 to 5 photos. I've had other issues that don't come to mind right now. I have posted here and on Apple's support forums and seldom get workable answers. ie I shouldn't have to rebuild my iPhoto library 3 times a day.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of great folks on here. It's not the people it's the software. If you are old enough you might remember your dad changing the oil in the car or maybe even the spark plugs. Oh the good old days when you could work on your own car. Of course the car only lasted 60,000 miles. Now a car has a warranty for 100,000 miles and lasts much longer but we have to take it to Jiffy Lube for an oil change because one we can't get to the stupid filter and two we just want to drive it. That's where we are with Macs now.

Sorry for the long non-answer I guess I just had a soapbox I need to stand on.

PS Adam if you are reading this I think what I talked about would make a good Jam Session.

Is this still an issue for you John? I haven't personally seen this issue before, however I might be able to give you some pointers on sorting this out if you haven't resolved this yet.

Sorry for the delay in replying Matt. No, I haven't resolved this issue. As I originally said, I'm choosing to ignore it!! However, I you have any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

You could be on the right track Joe, but I don't really want to reinstall and then configure everything and then find my iPhone is not recognised by the computer!!

Yes! I do remember my first car. I was never without a wire brush (to clean the plugs and clear blocked jets in the carburettor) and an adjustable spanner to free the starter when it jammed! Happy days!!

Since you were coming from a G5 iMac I assume you were coming from a much older version of Mac OS and the Mail app. Is that true? I wonder if the migration was across significantly different mail versions made it tricker, requiring some bizarre sharing of resources in order to make things migrate cleanly.

Have you looked to see if any of the folder structure within "Mail" are just links to the equivalent folder structure in "Mail (original)" ? That might start to explain how deleting the original app folder could impact the newer application. I would especially look at the Mail.app/Contents/Resources/AccountTypes/com.me.mailaccounts folder to see if one app's accounts are linked to the other.

-Tim

Since you were coming from a G5 iMac I assume you were coming from a much older version of Mac OS and the Mail app. Is that true? I wonder if the migration was across significantly different mail versions made it tricker, requiring some bizarre sharing of resources in order to make things migrate cleanly.

Hi Tim,

Yes, I think you've hit the proverbial nail on its head! My old iMac was the last non-Intel version, running OS 10.4. I'm sure you're right regarding the cross-fertiisation of the two Mail programs. I'll have a look to see if I can find any glaring differences between the two. Fingers crossed!

Hi Tim,

Yes, I think you've hit the proverbial nail on its head! My old iMac was the last non-Intel version, running OS 10.4. I'm sure you're right regarding the cross-fertiisation of the two Mail programs. I'll have a look to see if I can find any glaring differences between the two. Fingers crossed!

When in doubt, use the terminal to check for links. You can "cd" into the various directories of the Mail app (/Applications/Mail.app) and use "ls -aF" to list all files with special suffixes for different file types. Files that are links to other files are shown with an "@" at the end.

-Tim