Sign in to follow this  
houltmac

Techs do it too

I work for an ASAP, repairing Macs all day and warning customers to backup their machines, be careful of drinks near their machines and so on. All the usual nuggets of common sense come through automatically - it's the same few speeches over and over. Well don't think for a second this doesn't come from experience.

About 5 or 6 years ago I was sat on the couch sending emails on my PowerBook. It was only 6 months old and I had carelessly left the power adapter cord strewn across the room. The mail came, the dog went nuts and when running for the door, tripped over the cord, ripped the laptop from me and smashed it on the floor. Expensive, but repairable.

A few years ago, Chris, one of our techs got married. He took all the honeymoon photos off the camera (deleted them) and stuck them in iPhoto (pre-Flickr integration). 2 days later his hard drive died - no backup. We tried for weeks to recover those photos but to this day his wife hasn't forgotten his incompetence.

Yesterday, I was sat at work, minding my own business. I reached over my desk and grabbed my headphones. Somehow, the headphones brought with them a giant mug of tea (ironically, it was a Microsoft Office branded mug). My MacBook Pro fizzed and popped. I managed to get the hard drive out in time to save it (though dropped it and damaged the motor I think). Oddly, my backups were in a state of transition and I failed them (all 4 of them). I'm recovering the data now and a new laptop is on order.

The point is that we don't lecture for no reason - we've been there. We've paid the money and felt the pain. That's why we are so cautious with customer machines.

Ugh, those are horrible stories! I haven't really been around that long enough (I'm only 14) or been using tech that long to have experiences as bad as those, but I did drop both my DS and PSP once (separate occasions!). Both were onto hard stone floors :/ One of DS's screen hinges ended up broken but luckily my PSP only ended up with a few scratches. Other than that I suppose I've been very lucky! I don't tend to drink near my computer though, so so far I haven't spilt anything on it yet (luckily!).

When you end up working with computers and spend 18 hours a day within 3 feet of one you end up having no choice but to eat and drink near them. It's just one of those things.

In the mean time - I highly recommend Griffin Elevators.

A few years ago i was doing a complete backup to an external hard drive. i'd let my schedule laps so this was the first time in about six months that i'd done a complete backup. Not 20 minutes after i finished the drive on my iBook died and needed to be replaced. After that i increased the frequency of my backups considerably.

I think everyone needs to lose all their files so they learn the lesson of why making backups is not a waste of time. after you lose everything you will swear that you never want to feel that way ever again.

For reference - I have 3 backups in 3 locations at any given time and all important things are also backed up to the cloud. That said, I managed to end up with no current backups for the first time in maybe 6 years. As always, Sods law takes over. It was just an unfortunate circumstance.

When you end up working with computers and spend 18 hours a day within 3 feet of one you end up having no choice but to eat and drink near them. It's just one of those things.

I suppose, yeah...often people just want to get on with their work whilst eating lunch instead of stopping.