Huskermn

Weird Safari redirect

I think this is just some oddball thing but thought I'd check with the experts.

This morning I logged into an online banking site to make my mortgage payment. Everything went fine and I got my confirmation. I went back to the accounts page and then decided since it's the first, I should change my password (I change ALL my work and financial account passwords monthly). That went fine until I hit the confirmation button. Then, Safari showed the 'not sure about the site you're going to' message but, as it was the same site address it always is and I always get that message, I think I clicked OK. I say I think because here's where it went wonky. Rather than getting an actual confirmation of my password change, i went to Google.com. Subsequent interactions on the site also yielded Google.

In case it matters, I also use OpenDNS.

Anyway, this really freaked me out, but as I ponder the possibilities I think I may have clicked Cancel and Safari and/or OpenDNS then treat all those URLs as Too Suspicious to access and redirect me to Google. Is that possible?

That particular site works perfectly fine in Firefox so I don't think it's some kind of exploit but thought I'd ask anyway.

Are are sure your password was successfully changed? Did you get a confirmation email? Can you login with the new password? You'll want to be sure you changed your password with your bank, and didn't give away your password on a phishing site.

When you got redirected to Google, was it to the actual www.google.com home page? or some sort of error redirection page with a search box? I know chrome redirects to an error page with a google search on it when you enter an invalid URL. Perhaps OpenDNS is configured to do something similar?

Network Utility (or the equivalent command line tools) is a good way to troubleshot issues like this. Use the Lookup tap to grab the IP address that a DNS name (ie, www.mybank.com) resolves to. Then do a WHOIS on that IP address to determine if it's owned by your bank.