Sign in to follow this  
Lexonex

Register Your AirPort Extreme With MobileMe.How?

Greetings Mac Community. Need some help. It is over my head........

Apple Says: Apple Ad

Access your drive over the Internet.

Say you're traveling and you need a file on the hard drive connected to your AirPort Extreme back at home. If you're a MobileMe member using Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard, no problem.* You can access all the files on your shared drive over the Internet. Simply register your AirPort Extreme with your MobileMe account, and your drive appears in your Finder sidebar just like any other attached drive. It's like having your own personal file server wherever you go.

Q; How do I "Simply register your AirPort Extreme with your MobileMe account".

This is what I have done:

• System Preferences-MobileMe-Back to My Mac ON
  • Airport Utility-Manual Setup-Advanced (top of window)-MobileMe- and I entered my MobileMe Member Name and Password

What how does this thing work? I went on a network that was NOT my own and I did NOT see my Airport Extreme External Hard Drive. And Yes I did format and partition the External HD to my liking and it DOES show on my home/regular network under the "SHARED" category of the Finder window.

Edited by Lexonex

When you are away from home, you should see your Airport Extreme listed in the Finders sidebar. You shouldn't find it listed in Airport Utility when not local though.

It can take a while to show up once your are online, 15 minutes or more some times.

Mobile Me Back to my Mac sharing is notoriously flaky. If the remote network you were on doesn't support uPNP it won't work without setting up port forwarding and even on networks that support uPNP it doesn't always work. It's really not Apple's fault since they can't control everything that is happening on a network. I gave up long ago on Back to My Mac and just use SSH tunneling and VNC to get back to my Mac, but that starts a whole other topic.