mrstucci

Boxee, Roku, etc., what I want to do is....

Hi-I am looking for some advice on what I can buy (if such a thing exists) that would stream iTunes, iPhoto, Netflix, YouTube, any free content on the internet. AppleTV is nice but very limited-I want to be able to stream whatever I can find that offers free movies and tv shows. I would like a DVR too but due to the cost factor, it's been shelved. But to stream whatever, that would be sweet. Looking forward to what is out there that would fulfill my need. Thanks! Merry Christmas! Judy

Ok-that is definitely a good choice. I would need a keyboard and mouse also right? Thanks! Judy

Ok-that is definitely a good choice. I would need a keyboard and mouse also right? Thanks! Judy

Probably, but not necessarily. You could use screen sharing from another mac to control the mini. Or use a media center app, such as Boxee, with a remote.

That's the nice thing about the mini - tons of options.

Oh, really-so my MBP that is sitting near the tv, could control the mini? Could I use the remote that came with my MBP then to control the mini? Thanks again, Judy

Yep, as long as the MBP is on the same network you can use screen sharing.

That Apple remote can be used in any application that suports it. FrontRow, Keynote, etc. But you can't control things like Finder or Safari with it.

Thanks once more for your input. Will definitely check this out. Judy

There are a lot of great resources out there for doing this sort of thing. Just do a search for "mac mini home theater". (or Theatre, if you prefer :) )

i bought a mac mini this Fall to use as a media center. Works like a charm.

We elected to go with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse rather than the screen sharing, but we also added an app called Mobile Mouse. It allows you to control your mac from your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. There are several options out there for remotes of this sort.

I have seen those apps and they are cool but I am not an iPhone, iPod Touch or an iPad owner (waiting for the

The most common media centre options on a mac mini are Boxee and Plex. After using the 2 for the last week I much prefer Plex but both are easy to use and available for free.

If buying a mac mini keep in mind its much easier to use if its the latest model with hdmi, 1 cable and its all done thats not to say you cant use an older model just easier if its the latest one.

Yea, I already thought of that, to get the latest mini model. I have just heard about Plex and will have to check it out. Merry Christmas! Judy