Sign in to follow this  

mTorbin's Unofficial Folder Navigation O' The Dock

mTorbin's Unofficial "Folder Navigation O' The Dock"

(which I learned from the folks at FMC)

-=<•>=-=<•>=-=<•>=-=<•>=-=<•>=-=<•>=-=<•>=-=<•>=-

So, have you ever been sitting in front of your Mac thinking, "Sure, we're making great strides in the fight to end world hunger and make this world safer for our children, but what about all those icons on my dock?? Who will help keep all those icons organized and easily managed??"

Well, fear no more. I learned a trick a long time ago that I haven't really passed on until now. I'm not sure how many of you know this trick, so I'll post it anyways. If even one dock is saved, then my work here is done (NOTE: If you already know this trick, don't be like the guy who yells out in the middle of a joke, "I've heard this already! The punch line is....". Nobody likes that guy).

final.jpg

(Please note that the menu isn't really yellow and glowing; I just did that to highlight what the menu looks like.)

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED:

[*]A set of really cool folder icons. Here is my list that I use:

[*]Audio (for my audio editing software)

[*]Browser (for all my browsers)

[*]Graphic (for my graphic editing software)

[*]Text (for my text editing software)

[*]Video (for my video editing software)

[*]Web (for my web design software)

HERE'S WHAT YOU DO:

[*]Create a folder for each of the different sections you want to create.

[*]Put all of these folders in another folder and name it something like "Dock Folders".

[*]Put "Dock Folders" in your root directory (i.e. Macintosh HD).

[*]Create aliases of each of the applications you want to be able to reference and put those aliases in their appropriate folders.

[*]Drag each of the dock folders to the dock. Notice that the dock wants the folder to be BELOW the divider because you are dragging a folder (not an application icon).

[*]Enjoy! That's it! Now all you have to do is right-click on these folders to see a listing of what's inside.

Here's the breakdown on where to put what folder:

folderLocation.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions!

- MT

I've heard this already! It's.....

wait, nobody likes that guy?

actually... this is a great trick. I have all my apps in the dock like a normal user, but on the right side of the divider i have my home folder, my work folder, and my school folder, all really easily accesible. it's a great tip.

ps: we should get you some official stuff Torbin. everything you present is so unofficial... when I do them I feel like I'm in some sort of Mac cult that nobody is allowed to know about....

I promise you the day I come up with one of these on my own I'll make it official.

- MT

I'm confused. I guess I don't see how this is different than dragging folders to the dock.

I'm confused.  I guess I don't see how this is different than dragging folders to the dock.

It's not, really. These are just folders with Application aliases, so you can divide your Apps into categories...

Exactly... it's not an earth shattering, "oh my gosh I have to get home and try this now" kind of thing. It's just one of those useful tips that you may or may not know.

- MT

I'm confused.  I guess I don't see how this is different than dragging folders to the dock.

It's not, really. These are just folders with Application aliases, so you can divide your Apps into categories...

That is the part of the tip that stands out right there. You can have an application directory on the dock that is actually split out instead of having everything in one folder.

That's the thing I love about Kerry. You look at his avatar; you see he's thinking and then he says something which makes a lot of sense (I'm not being scarcastic).

Seriously, it's just a new way to do something that's been around a bit that most Windows users might miss.

- MT

mTorbin

Where do I find the icons to use for the folders and where can I find more if I need them, please.

you see he's thinking and then he says something which makes a lot of sense (I'm not being scarcastic).

This is not something that happens too often. Ask my wife. :D