work and turn

Best program and format for a DVD rip

After some debate I've just bought a boxee box and a Lacie 2tb harddrive with automatic raid.

I've got soo many DVDs that I would love to rip and now Ill have a device that can play them back easily thats what Id like to do.

So whats the best program for the job and perhaps the most difficult question whats the best format ?

I want a native resolution rip, with surround sound, but it doesn't have to be perfect as I don't really want to end up with a bunch of 4GB files, somewhere around 1 / 2 GB would be ideal.

Handbrake MKV rip the best way to go ? I've got lots to do so time is important to me hence I don't care about having to spend a few Euros on a program if its going to speed things up.

Cheers

James

Edited by work and turn

if I was ripping a collection I would use RipIt.

Sounds like the Handbrake MKV option will work best for what you want. Typically a full length feather film will turn out to be in the neighborhood of .5 Gig with those settings. Handbrake will allow for 5.1 audio and multiple audio tracks. You can even select which audio tracks you want.

Ripit sounds way cool, i'm looking forward to trying it out, but if it is anything like MactheRipper it will give you 4-8 gig file sizes.

Well Ripit is free to try (10 rips) so Ill give it a go this evening and see what I think.

Please let us know what you think. i tried it today and was unable to move the file it made to another drive.

Right finally got around to trying Ripit and it seems to work fine. I used the latest version 1.5.3 and feedback would be as follows.

First DVD I tried was the retail copy of Collateral, in the preferences I selected high quality M4V and then used the compress option which rips the DVD and then compresses it using handbrake, this option is currently marked as in Beta. The DVD was dual layer and came in at around 8GB, total rip time took around 1 hour 15mins using a 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core mac with 5GB of ram so not exactly the quickest.

Second DVD was a "Backup copy" of V for Vendetta, it was a 4GB DVD and using the high quality M4V format it took around 40 / 45 mins.

In both cases before ripping you get the option of selecting audio track you want, so you can select the whatever you like which in my case was the 6 channel audio or you can just chose automatic if you wish. Unfortunately I cant test that this works as I have yet to buy my surround sound system.

File size was 1.35GB for Collateral and 1.28GB for V for Vendetta. I did a quick comparison of quality using VLC, looking at the original DVD and the ripped file it seemed good.

My only additional comment is that after a quick check on the internet it seems that the M4V probably wasn't the best option for ripping and that the high quality MP4 would have been a better choice as its a more widely compatible format. I will go back and re rip the collateral DVD to make sure everything is fine and then update this thread once I'm done.

Ceoltoir regarding copying the file I have no problems. Once a file has been made you should have no problems moving it ? What error message are you getting ? Have you checked the permissions just in case ?

My major problem is that subtitle extraction is not possibly with Ripit and my girlfriend likes to have them as English isn't her first language. If they could integrate that then this program would be amazing.

Bad news for me is that there seems to be no up to date software to do this on the Mac. Im testing D-Subtitler at the moment but in its limited instructions it says that ripping subtitles VIDEO_TS files sometimes dont work and its better to have a single VOB file! So not only do have to have a ripped version of a DVD but then have to convert that before I can try and get the subtitles... Ive got around 100 DVDs !!!

Im currently trying to get the subtitles for V for Vendetta, an hour has passed, it says converting pictures to text but its said that for a while now so I think it's not working. Ether way over an hour for subtitles is a lot and it also hasn't been updated in years so all in all not the greatest solution.

I will start a separate thread to see what people about subtitles extraction or if its better to just download them.

Edited by work and turn

Just ripped anchorman as an mpeg4 file.

It's a backup copy as I cant be bothered waiting over an hour for a retail disk right now. As per V for Endetta the rip time is significantly less (due to the unprotected nature of the disk I presume), total time for the rip was around 10mins. Compression is what takes time, around 35 mins, which is consistent with the V for Vendetta disk.

Overall quality looks good.

Thanks for the update.

What i did when i tested it was to do a full rip without compression, and ended up with about a 6gig file that was a DVD player file (or some such file type). It played fine with the DVD app, but when i tried to copy it to an external drive i got errors to the effect of something was wrong with the file. i'll try the disk again with the setting you used and see if that makes a difference.

I've been using MacTheRipper to rip and Handbrake to encode for a couple years. Have always I know Handbrake has an encoding queue but I think MacTheRipper is one at a time,