Sign in to follow this  
Filmore Slim

Nano on the Firewire support

I'm really bummed to find out that the Nano does not support Firewire. My Dual 1ghz G4 does not have USB2 and spending 30 dollars on a PCI card for an inferior standard really burns me. Along with my 20gig 3G I also have a Shuffle which also only supports USB but it's not a big deal with only 512 megs but 4 gigs would be painful over USB 1. My intentions are to replace my shuffle with a nano. I may just have to bite the bullet since it sounds like it's going to be USB 2.0 from here on out.

Firewire R.I.P.

I can't believe it. The nano only syncs over USB? Well that there stops me from buying one. My 15" G4 iMac only has FireWire and USB 1.0. Sure the nano will still sync with the lowly USB 1.0 connection but it's going to take some serious time. I understand that FireWire is not nearly as popular as USB 2.0, but seeing as how all Macs ship with FireWire it seems to make sense to include synching compatibility. Especially when they've included charging capability! Come on Apple!

I was SO stoked to buy the nano and now I'm just fuming. :evil: This really bites.

People, first of all, we're all forgetting that the top Nano only holds 4GB, that's it! Secondly, USB is not inferior; it's simply a different transfer method which is slower then firewire. Can you imagine the heating issues if that thing was firewire?

- MT

Plus, it should only take a long time the first time you sync. So let it! Just set it up, and let it do its thing for 4 or 5 hours. Eat a pie! Enjoy life! Then, come back, and it'll be all set. The next time you have to sync it, it should only be 1 or 2 cds at most, right? That'll just take a few seconds, whether USB or Firewire. It doesn't seem like that huge of a deal to me... especially not something to deter you from buying a product that seems pretty amazing otherwise.

Just a quick note on Red's response. Depending upon the type of pie you choose, it's probably best that you either eat away from the iPod Nano and you wash your hands aftwards. Nothing sucks more then having a new iPod with apple filling jammed in all the ports.

- MT

Just a quick note on Red's response.  Depending upon the type of pie you choose, it's probably best that you either eat away from the iPod Nano and you wash your hands aftwards.  Nothing sucks more then having a new iPod with apple filling jammed in all the ports.

- MT

Thanks Torbin. I forgot this friendly reminder. But it is very, very important. Pie does not mix with electronics. Just take a look at the warning label on the side of the package.

PS: Of course it has to be Apple Pie, like you mentioned. It's a pun, but it works.

Plus, it should only take a long time the first time you sync.  So let it!  Just set it up, and let it do its thing for 4 or 5 hours.

I see what you are saying, but I have a 3G that i've gotten used to the speed of transfer on. It'd be like telling someone that they had to go back from broadband to dialup and eat a pie while he waits. Personally I don't think i'd use the internet much or pay for it if it was dial up.

I see what you are saying, but I have a 3G that i've gotten used to the speed of transfer on. It'd be like telling someone that they had to go back from broadband to dialup and eat a pie while he waits. Personally I don't think i'd use the internet much or pay for it if it was dial up.

Yeah, I would feel exactly the same way, too, if it were an everyday thing. However, this lengthy time should only be the first time you sync your iPod. Every other time after that would be pretty quick, whether it's Firewire or USB. Maybe like driving 5 hours in a Pinto to pick up your brand new Ferrari.

People, first of all, we're all forgetting that the top Nano only holds 4GB, that's it!  

- MT

Yes I know it only holds 4GB, so does my mini. But I have 35 GB of files in iTunes. Every morning I synch up with new music thanks to smart playlists and a speedy FireWire transfer rate. This way of using an iPod nano just does not make sense with only a USB 1.0 connection. I don't have an hour or more to spare each morning to wait for the thing to sync.

People, first of all, we're all forgetting that the top Nano only holds 4GB, that's it!  

- MT

Yes I know it only holds 4GB, so does my mini. But I have 35 GB of files in iTunes. Every morning I synch up with new music thanks to smart playlists and a speedy FireWire transfer rate. This way of using an iPod nano just does not make sense with only a USB 1.0 connection. I don't have an hour or more to spare each morning to wait for the thing to sync.

But you are still only syncing 4 gig and depending on how your smart playlists work, it might not even be that much. I cannot tell much of a difference at all syncing my 6 gig iPod mini over USB or Firewire on my PowerMac.

Exactly. Keep in mind, you're talking about six to seven minutes tops. Try this:

1) Wake Up

2) Sync Nano

3) Jump In Shower

4) DRY OFF (very important step)

5) Eat Pie

6) Grab Nano

7) Go to Work/School/Hospital/Construction Site/Bowling Alley...

Of course I left some things out (like remembering to get dressed.. please don't call me if you get arrested) but you get the picture.

- MT

I, too, would like to have seen firewire support, but, previous posts are correct that a full 4 Gb sync would be a rather rare occurence, regardless of the size of your full collection. I think this is just part of the move toward Intel based systems. I think Mac systems now ship with Firewire more for backwards compatability than because it's 'better'. I really like it. I'm used to it, but, new Macs also have USB 2 ports and, I wouldn't be very surprised to not see Firewire ports on the Intel Macs, if not 1st Gen then 2nd Gen.

I, too, would like to have seen firewire support, but, previous posts are correct that a full 4 Gb sync would be a rather rare occurence, regardless of the size of your full collection.  I think this is just part of the move toward Intel based systems.  I think Mac systems now ship with Firewire more for backwards compatability than because it's 'better'.  I really like it.  I'm used to it, but, new Macs also have USB 2 ports and, I wouldn't be very surprised to not see Firewire ports on the Intel Macs, if not 1st Gen then 2nd Gen.

No way. As long as Apple still has a stonghold on media type factory applications, you will always see firewire involved. at least until USB 3 can do a better job.

I don't believe that there will be a USB 3.0. I think we're pretty much done with USB. Keep in mind what USB is usually used for:

[*]Economy Scanners

[*]Economy printers

[*]Keyboards

[*]Mice

[*]Thumbdrives

Why would any of these devices need any more power then what they have right now? These are all low-level items that are very happy with a USB connection. I think the next step you'll see is firewire thumbdrives.

- MT