Sign in to follow this  
djcanellis

Tracking downloads of an itunes podcast

I have a very popular podacst called heavens lounge on itunes

I was wondering if there is a way to track how many downloads i receive a month

My hosting servers says i have bqndwith traffic of 2.5 terabytes a month but

Google analytic says i only receive about 1000. Visits to my site per month

Are vsits to the site that analytics shows me the accurate number

Google Analytics (GA) doesn't keep track of your raw data like .jpg, .png, and especially .mp3. it's tracking things like the page landing, the time on page and exit URL. but more important the RSS feed doesn't track in GA. and how could it. it's a dumb as rocks file. it's not executing anything scripts. you'd have to use an RSS service to get tracking out of your RSS which is using redirects for basic hit counting. but that's not your question.

the best thing to do is look at your raw server logs for a different view. Analog and AWstats are two tools often provided by your service provider. my stats are accessed by: http://knowtech.tv/stats and yours might be similar. this will give you are RAW count of the downloads of all your files. from there you can build a better idea of your traffic. the difference is going to be pretty shocking. GA paints a traffic picture that benefit advertisers showing what it thinks are really readers. while raw stats will show you numbers that are often 5-6 times greater compared to GA.

so there are three overall numbers that I care about when reading RAW stats. 1) the monthly total Data Transferred. this is the number includes everything leaving your server including complete, partial and failed downloads. 2) the file count for each MP3. it's like watching baseball box scores. some files have a lot of traffic for whatever reason while others eventually die. 3) the referrer report. I'm looking for who is linking to the site so I can either leave a comment or monitor what is being said there.

between GA, RAW stats and Piwik I have a pretty good idea of what the shape of traffic is on a daily and monthly basis. RAW stats are the suck for daily stuff. while GA is the suck for things like download counts.

Edited by johnfoster

Google Analytics (GA) doesn't keep track of your raw data like .jpg, .png, and especially .mp3. it's tracking things like the page landing, the time on page and exit URL. but more important the RSS feed doesn't track in GA. and how could it. it's a dumb as rocks file. it's not executing anything scripts. you'd have to use an RSS service to get tracking out of your RSS which is using redirects for basic hit counting. but that's not your question.

the best thing to do is look at your raw server logs for a different view. Analog and AWstats are two tools often provided by your service provider. my stats are accessed by: http://knowtech.tv/stats and yours might be similar. this will give you are RAW count of the downloads of all your files. from there you can build a better idea of your traffic. the difference is going to be pretty shocking. GA paints a traffic picture that benefit advertisers showing what it thinks are really readers. while raw stats will show you numbers that are often 5-6 times greater compared to GA.

so there are three overall numbers that I care about when reading RAW stats. 1) the monthly total Data Transferred. this is the number includes everything leaving your server including complete, partial and failed downloads. 2) the file count for each MP3. it's like watching baseball box scores. some files have a lot of traffic for whatever reason while others eventually die. 3) the referrer report. I'm looking for who is linking to the site so I can either leave a comment or monitor what is being said there.

between GA, RAW stats and Piwik I have a pretty good idea of what the shape of traffic is on a daily and monthly basis. RAW stats are the suck for daily stuff. while GA is the suck for things like download counts.

That is exactly what I thought. So, i can be getting alot of downloads with the user never visiting my website. And GA would never know that. Totally understand. And I can also redirect my podcast to go thru a feed counter service if I wanted to?

Such as Feedburner?

Peter

Is there a way to track how many people are downloading a podcast? and how many times that same person has downloaded a particular show or multiple shows.

Lets say I go to itunes and download a podcast i think is great. How would that register in GA as a visit to the site or a HIT. Then lets say I think the podcast is awesome and I download all 10 shows. How does that register with GA as 10 visits, 10 hits or just 1 becuase it is the same computer?

Thank you

Peter

> That is exactly what I thought. So, i can be getting a lot of downloads with the user never visiting my website and GA would never know that.

if it's a direct link there is no way for GA to see it for any type of content. that little javascript that you insert in your footer is what's doing the tracking. and when that doesn't run there's no tracking by GA.

> can I redirect my podcast to go thru a feed counter service if I wanted to?

sure. but your RSS maker needs to support a redirect link. if you are using one of the wordpress tools like PowerPress you can enable this feature. just paste the redirect URL into a field and its working. iTunes will let you stack up to 2 of those before the real content shows up. however, some podcatchers only allow 1. YMMV.

> Is there a way to track how many people are downloading a podcast? and how many times that same person has downloaded a particular show or multiple shows.

you'd have to process the RAW log files to answer that specific question. some unimaginative perl or python would chew that right out. although you have to ask if you really care about the answer. maybe you want to see how many true fans you have. or you'd like to tell advertisers that "20% of our audience downloads everything after discovering the podcast." maybe there's value in knowing that. but I think bigger strokes are better.

you can find that number easily. just look at the hit count from your oldest shows. typically those don't get downloaded unless somebody is making a collection. you'll see the trend because it will be 40, 42, 45, then start climbing into large numbers. if you want to count your audience size use the unique IP count that the log file reader will give you. match that number with a recent show. your uniques should be a number higher but close to that shows download count.

> Lets say I go to itunes and download a podcast i think is great. How would that register

> in GA as a visit to the site or a HIT. Then lets say I think the podcast is awesome and I

> download all 10 shows. How does that register with GA as 10 visits, 10 hits or just

> 1 becuase it is the same computer?to a server a hit is a hit. it's counted even though the same IP address has already touched it. remember logs are made from realtime events. and they aren't stateful. meaning it's not using a table of current events to make logging smart. it's more "like this happen", and "this happened" and "so did this." and on and on.

> Such as Feedburner?

or something like that. some people use libsyn or cachefly because it gives "better" stats on files downloaded. I've used both with the idea of controlling costs and for getting stats. but I don't use those services. I've also used RSS enhancers like feedburner to give me a better idea of who's watching the feed. at some point I realize that I don't care about feed stats. mostly because a feed is being updated 50 times a day by junkies who have nothing better to do than read newsie stuff all day. and I ditched the file services because a) my host doesn't care how many bits I fling B) I can make the same conclusions from RAW logs and c ) why in the world would I share my numbers with a 3rd party because I'm forced to?

Edited by johnfoster