mrstucci

Firefox, Facebook and weird link....

Hi-my sis is having issues with accessing her Facebook account. She is using Firefox. When she puts in www.facebook.com to sign in, it takes her to a totally different site-HOSTUP.INF.BR. No matter what she does, it won't go to FB. Any ideas? I told her to clear the cache and restart the computer (she has a 13" MBP running SL)-that didn't help. I have asked her to go into FF prefs and go to the Privacy tab and remove the cookie for that website-if it's listed there. The message she gets when she types in the URL is that there is no associated application can be found. Update: the HOSTUP is not listed in the cookies.... Any ideas?? My latest idea is to shut down and hope that in the morning, all would be ok but that didn't work. She is currently in Costa Rica till early March. So does anyone have any ideas? My sister is a Switcher and

That sounds like a DNS issue and could be trouble at her ISP, especially if she is using a service in Costa Rica that is using outdated routing equipment. There was a pretty nasty DNS exploit that impacted certain equipment. Most ISPs have patched their stuff, but if they didn't they could be compromised. Have you tried having her change her DNS to use a 3rd party service like Google's public DNS or Open DNS?

Google Public DNS

Open DNS

If that doesn't work then she might need to flush the local DNS Resolver Cache in Snow Leopard. There are instuctions on how to do it using the Terminal here: www.opendns.com/support/article/209

Ok. After further research on the DNS cache poisoning exploit I'm not 100% sure my theory of the DNS servers at the ISP being exploited by this vulnerability would be correct. I'm not really an expert in this area, so maybe others here in the forum could shed some light. After reading the FAQ here though it would seem that the Name Servers at the receiving end (in this case Facebook) would have to be the one not patched and of course Facebook's servers are. I'm basing my information on using their Cross-pollination check tool which you can try here.

All that said, my suggested fix might still be worth a try as the ISP may just have a bad DNS.

Hi-this is a bit geeky for me and way over my sis's head (she's even less geeky than me and a newbie to the Mac) but I will take a look at the links. It is a bit odd that all was well since she got there but then she went on a short trip and when she came back, that's when it started not working. I think it's only Facebook that isn't working. Thanks for replying, will check out the links, Judy

Does my sister delete the current DNS numbers (after writing them down)? And once she gets to my house in Maryland, will her MBP automatically update the DNS servers? Judy

Does my sister delete the current DNS numbers (after writing them down)? And once she gets to my house in Maryland, will her MBP automatically update the DNS servers? Judy

I cleared the previous settings when I switched to OpenDNS and just kept them on all my machines

Great news! The internet/email was down for 24 hours and when it came back up, she is able to access Facebook! Yea! Thanks one and all! It's nice to know that there are so many helpful people in the Mac community and this was such a strange thing. Judy