joenspa

RSS/Newsreader apps that stay in sync

I've been using Mail for my RRS reader. It's been fine but I can't always have my laptop with me. I would really like it if I could read my feeds and stay in sync across my desktop, iPad and iPhone. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks.

I don't really know why you would feel like you are "joining" one side or the other. I have EVERYTHING sync through Google (RSS, Contacts, Calendars, email) and it all works flawlessly with my Mac and my iPhone. It's not Google Reader that you should worry about, it's the client you use to view it. Reeder for both the Mac and the iOS are my favorites but there are plenty of other great alternatives. You don't have to "pick a side" - use what works. I hope that I didn't come across as attacking you, that wasn't my intent. I just thought I'd throw my ideas out there.

I don't use RSS Readers.

using Google is not even close to joining the dark side. there is lots that google does for me: analytics, blipverts (adsense), and site traffic (which is different from analytics). some of my clients have moved mail to the domain based gmail because of better phone integration and literally zero SPAM. although I have a problem with giving up that information to them. I wish I used "phone" more because Voice is pretty nifty. but I only use about 20 minutes of phone calls a month and I have only one number so why make it more complicated?

There's an newsreader/RSS feed app on the Mac App Store, called NewsRack (£4 here, not sure about in the US). It can be synced with a Google Reader account if you decide to sign up for that, or you can use it without one. There's also an iOS version, but I'm not sure whether it keeps in sync throughout all the different versions on the Mac/iPhone/iPad if you had those devices running the app, like you requested. I would imagine it does but having not used it I have no idea.

I use a RSS reader on a desktop Mac, a MacBook Pro, my iPhone and use Google Reader via my work PC. All sync well together using the apps below...

On the Mac, I've used NetNewsWire for years and that syncs via a Google Reader account, but I've just switched to Reeder (as I was finding NNW wasn't doing a 100% accurate job on sync'ing) and I really like the simple keyboard shortcuts and the overall look and feel of the application. Again it can be sync'd via a Google account.

On the iPhone I've used NetNewsWire but now prefer and Byline.

Hope that helps. Shout back with any questions.

Personally, I prefer Google Reader ... mainly because it works on any device I may be around .... work computer, iPod Touch, Laptop, even a friends' computer

Personally, I prefer Google Reader ... mainly because it works on any device I may be around .... work computer, iPod Touch, Laptop, even a friends' computer

And using the Apps I suggest means you can do this as well, as these Apps use Google Reader in order to sync and refresh content. You are effectively using different Google Reader clients on different devices.

Yes, but using the apps means you have to install those apps on the various machines you use. That's why I prefer to use the Google reader straight from its web ( Google ) interface. This way no matter what computer I happen to be near, I can sign on to the guest acct, open the any browser and check my RSS feeds. Work, friends, on the road, all I need is to remember my Google ID and password .... heck, if the computer I access happens to have Chrome browser installed, it even gets me the same browser config and extensions I use at home.

Reeder is pretty amazing, and very popular. Separate apps for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. You do need a google account, so it's basically a prettier front end to RSS, but with many sharing options as well. Yes, the iPhone and iPad are separate, but they offer different interfaces custom to those devices. You'll dig it. Good luck.

I thought about Google. Kind of feel like I'm joining the Dark Side. Are you happy with them?

I know the feeling. I don't like using Google services, primarily because they make money on my information. However do some things much better than anyone else.

That said, I have a google reader account with all my feeds in it. I read the feeds in NetNewsWire (both on Mac and iPhone). Everything stays in sync very nicely. Plus when I'm on a Windows or Linux box I can still fall back on the Google Reader web interface. Works out to be a pretty nice solution all around.