Sign in to follow this  
cmeisenzahl

So, thinking about an iPhone, some questions ...

Right now we're longtime Sprint customers, maybe 10 years. I've got a family plan now w/ 550 mins. I've got I think 5 phones and an Airave going.

None of us have "smart" phones but we all have texting. On my phone only (LR Rumor Touch) I have the added $15 for unlimited data.

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone this coming summer when (presumably) the next revision of the iPhone is introduced. I would probably keep my wife and kids on our our Sprint plan and just move myself and maybe my dad. We already own a iPad and a couple of iPod Touches so I'm familiar with iOS.

I do have a few questions I was hoping someone here could help me with. Thanks in advance! :-)

1. What differences are there between the iPhone on AT&T and Verizon? Based on their coverage maps they both cover my home and work area very well.

2. I could see myself using up to maybe 1000 texts/month and a few GB of data, what kind of plan should I consider?

3. After all of the fees, taxes, etc., what is an expected real-world monthly bill for me given the above?

4. Are there any advantages to having two of us with iPhones on a plan? Any kind of add-a-line or family bundle discounts with respect to the plans?

5. What is is important that I didn't even think to ask? ;-)

Thanks VERY much!

Chris

1. What differences are there between the iPhone on AT&T and Verizon? Based on their coverage maps they both cover my home and work area very well.

If they both seem to have decent coverage in the areas that you'll be using your phone most of the time it doesn't seem to be that much a problem. A lot of the AT&T problems I've heard about have been in busy, highly populated cities like San Francisco, where there is a lot of demand and the networks are stretched a lot more. As to the comparison between the two I think the only way of finding out is by trying it out yourself and seeing which one you prefer or by perhaps asking others about their experiences who have iPhones in your area.

2. I could see myself using up to maybe 1000 texts/month and a few GB of data, what kind of plan should I consider?

Obviously since you don't seem to use much data compared to texts you might want to go with a plan that is 'balanced' more towards texts than data; not sure of the exact plans that you can choose from but I'd imagine there'd be some kind of table or similar information on their respective websites.

3. After all of the fees, taxes, etc., what is an expected real-world monthly bill for me given the above?

4. Are there any advantages to having two of us with iPhones on a plan? Any kind of add-a-line or family bundle discounts with respect to the plans?

Again, I think these questions are best answered by taking a look at the carriers' sites, or if anyone else on the forum (probably John!) knows. Being in the UK I don't have any experience with this, as I think it's slightly different to that in the US depending on the carrier and their individual policies.

Hope this helps at least a little; I appreciate that I probably don't have the experience or knowledge compared to others.

Edited by R94N

I have a few friends that have switched from ATT to Verizon iPhones. the initial response from each person is "wow, night and day difference. you don't know how much ATT sucked until you had this version of the phone." keep in mind these are people who live in the San Francisco area. this is where after you walk around a corner your phone will get 4 messages and 3 TXTs. there's a pub that I like to go to that has no reception inside but walk 25 feet west or east for full bars. for comparison I saw a VZ phone work in that place just fine.

I'm finding that "phone" is become less and less important. maybe it's the nature of my work or maybe I just don't like talking on a phone or maybe the service is so dismal but my use a month is around 30 minutes. and that's a busy month.

an ideal next phone for me would be a iPod Touch (and it doesn't have to be a Apple product) that has a 3G data plan. that would take care of getting anywhere TXTs, twitter, and Skype.