flatmacsurf

Need Tips: Transferring Adobe CS5 to New iMac

Hi everyone. I've gotten good information here once before (the new Apple TV is doing great), so I thought I'd try again.

I have a new iMac on the way and I'm looking for the best way to transfer Adobe Photoshop CS5 from my old Mac and keep all of the settings. I'm unsure if I need to deauthorize it first and then use Migration Assistant or send it over and then deauthorize it.

I run Super Duper, so perhaps this is a better way to go.

I have read conflicting reports online. It seems folks have a hard time transferring the Adobe software seamlessly. I have install disc, but I'd rather keep all my settings intact.

Thanks in advance!!

Steve

Wedding Photographer Journal

Gary Indiana! My hometown!

If it were me, I would install Photoshop from the disc on the new computer and I would copy the Photoshop preferences file from the old computer to the new one.

if you "copy transfer" using Migration Assistant or do it manually any of the CS5 programs on a new computer will become "de-authorized" the first time you launch. the hardware detection is based on the networks cards MAC address and while this is easy to "spoof" for "online" purposes it's impossible to hide from real software. you will have to de-authorize your old Mac before you can validate the new one.

if you are retiring the old Mac from your life be sure to de-authorize iTunes. because once it's gone you won't be able to remove it.

Edited by johnfoster

Gary Indiana! My hometown!

If it were me, I would install Photoshop from the disc on the new computer and I would copy the Photoshop preferences file from the old computer to the new one.

Yes Scott, I'm currently in Merrillville, but grew up in Gary so I didn't stray far. What was I thinking?!! I had considered your suggestion to start "fresh" and I suppose that would work even with my purchased plugins.

if you "copy transfer" using Migration Assistant or do it manually any of the CS5 programs on a new computer will become "de-authorized" the first time you launch. the hardware detection is based on the networks cards MAC address and while this is easy to "spoof" for "online" purposes it's impossible to hide from real software. you will have to de-authorize your old Mac before you can validate the new one.

if you are retiring the old Mac from your life be sure to de-authorize iTunes. because once it's gone you won't be able to remove it.

John - So I can do the transfer and then de-authorize CS5 on old machine? Does it matter if I do this beforehand? To validate, I'm just entering the key from my box I assume or my Adobe ID. Yes, I knew about iTunes and have done this before, but I put it on my list here as a reminder.

Thanks!!

Steve

Merrillville Wedding Photographer

you should deactivate your old Mac before you activate the new one.