Sign in to follow this  
Robin in Short Pump

Outdated OEM software

I just bought a sealed copy of iLife '09 from a vendor with a very good rating on eBay.

It is an OEM version, not to be sold separately. Text on the CD is in English, but the packaging is in Spanish. There is a sticker on it that says "Warranty void if removed" and is dated 2/15/2011.

Is it legal for me to install this?

Robin in Short Pump

johnfoster    48

why wouldn't it be?

it might be fake. it's seems odd that Apple would have printed Spanish packaging so recently for a discontinued product. iLife 11 has been shipping for 6 months now and there is little reason to keep iLife 09 around in inventory. that is unless there really is a demand for upgrades to iLife because of old hardware stuck running OS X 10.5. '09 was the last version that ran on PowerPC. so it's possible there was a customer that needed this old version and whoever the vendor was ordered extra.

it might also be salvaged dead inventory. when a product is returned for credit often the vendor doesn't want the boxes. they just want the inventory destroyed. proof of it's destruction might have been something from inside the box. like the white Apple decal or the EULA paper. after that part was pulled the box went back together, was sticker'd shut and sold as new.

given that there is no serial number or installation verification you can install this without fear of the Apple cops showing up demanding to see your receipt.

Thanks for your response, John. I was concerned about the lack of serial number. I don't expect Apple to offer any support on this old version, I don't expect to be able to use it as an upgrade path (which probably doesn't exist with this product line, anyway). As long as I can run it, I'm ok with it.

Robin in Short Pump