joenspa

Migration Assistant - Locked up

joenspa    26

I am trying to do a clean install of my system. I have a Time Machine backup, and 2 clones. One was the very last thing before I erased the drive and the other was at the beginning of yesterday before I did all my maintenance work. Before I installed the system I formatted the drive writing zeros. After the system install was done I used migration assistant to bring over everything but applications from my final clone. For over 3 hours now it has been stuck with "Less than a minute remaining". I'm nervous about aborting this not knowing what it did or didn't send over. Thinking I may needs to start all over again and use a different drive. This one should have been my most reliable.

Any thoughts anyone?

Huskermn    33

Have some dinner, a couple drinks and forget it until tomorrow. If it still hasn't completed, then try to boot from the clone.

joenspa    26

Have some dinner, a couple drinks and forget it until tomorrow. If it still hasn't completed, then try to boot from the clone.

I ended up aborting the migration and tried again. it got stuck again. So then I told it not to migrate any information and it had me set up an account. Did that and logged in. I could see the original accounts but everything I clicked on and I do mean everything caused the computer to lock up. So I reformatted the drive and started over. I am at a point now where it's migrating from the Time Machine backup and not the clone. That won't finish, if it does, till midnight.

In the mean time I did follow some of your advice. Dinner, a big bowl of ice cream and I'm forgetting about it till tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Huskermn    33

Sounds like the clone was corrupted. Did you boot from the clone before trying to use it for migration?

joenspa    26

Sounds like the clone was corrupted. Did you boot from the clone before trying to use it for migration?

I did boot from it.

I did get my main account to reload. It's been interesting. Once it was all on, except apps, I started loading the apps. Did a few of the main utilities. 1Password, iPhoto Library Manager and Logitech trackball driver. After that I decided to try Mail. It opened but had to reformat my messages or something like that. After that all kinds of old emails were resent. I've only heard from 3 people but from what they told me that totals about 15 emails. Since most of the messages were from February and back, some over a year old, I don't know that I'll hear from very many folks. I'm pretty sure they'll just delete them.

Loading more on today and hopefully I'll get that other user account set up today.

Huskermn    33

Odd and interesting. Might be/have been something in the Mail.app My partner just replaced her old G4 iBoob with a new MacBookAir and Migration Assistant worked like a charm albeit very slow. It took 6 hrs to migrate 30Gb of data. But, that was wirelessly on a G Network and the G4 was booting off a Firewire drive.

Good luck.

joenspa    26

This has gotten ugly. The laptop is locking up so much now I decided to start writing down what I was doing to look for consistancies. These progressively started happening closer together to the Louth I can't go for more than a minute right now. No joke. Here's what I did to cause pickups in chronological order.

Deleting message in Mail.

Click on an email in Mail to view it.

Microsoft updater for Office refused to run. I eventually had to put my laptop in Target Disk mode and hook it to a friend's laptop. I booted from my drive and everything worked great.

Quiting Quicken 2007.

Loading a video on Hulu.

Right after I downloaded a song on Amplified.com.

Adding a song to iTunes library.

Installing Filemaker Pro 19. Crashed twice during this process.

Cashed when I used command + tab to switch apps.

Using Onyx, several times. (latest version I downloaded today)

Quoting Onyx.

Selecting restart in Apple menu. Had problems bootng after that.

Quiting Filemaker Pro 10

Pretty much so every move in Safari causes it to lock up. (Doing this on my iPad.)

Connecting it to another laptop and it working fine makes me think there is some kind of logic board hardware issue.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas. Right now the two choices running through my mind are taking it to my local Apple Store or smashing it my driveway. (it's a bad day)

Dolphbucs    2

If by "connecting it to another laptop" means you are using target disk mode to navigate the problem laptop's HD, then I think you are on the right track, but it could still be a software issue. If it is navigating the HD independent of running OS X then the HD seems to be working fine, but you are then bypassing the system files ... it may still not be hardware.

IMO what you need to do is perform a second "Clean Install" but this time follow the instructions below. Forgive me if you already did this but the only way to make sure you haven't been missing a step is for me to write it all down for you to check:

1) Insert and boot from an OS X install disk.

2) Running from the install disk ... BEFORE you click Install OS X, go to the menu bar and load Disk Utility

3) Find your internal HD and erase it and format it

4) Run Verify and Fix HD ( just to make sure there are no bad sectors left seen as usable )

5) Reboot computer again using the OS X as the install disk

6) Install OS X

7) Run ALL updates through Software Update

8) Now, this is the crucial step because this is where the process will probably vary from what you have done in the past. Do NOT try and migrate things over using migrate assistant. We need to see if there is indeed a hardware issue and the only way to do this is by running/using a pristine OS X install for a day or two. I know it's a pain but troubleshooting properly usually takes time. I am thinking that Migration Assistant is your problem. It is seeing something it does not like on the clone drive and that is mucking up the process. But we need to run the computer awhile to test this. Surf using Safari. Play some chess. Open iTunes and play some radio stations ... but do NOT import anything into the computer yet ... don't even download anything and don't even try to copy over software manually form any external source. You want to be putting the computer through a workout but you want to do so in its original state. ( I know it's not technically "original" because you have installed updates, but if there is an issue in the update process, that would show a problem with the install or hardware. If you do encounter a problem running the upodates repeat the above steps, this time skipping the update process, but all things being equal, we want the updates installed before testing begins )

9) If you encounter problems during this test period, it is a good bet that the hardware was the issue. Good news is that if this happens, you now have a laptop in the perfect condition to be repaired. Better news is that there was nothing wrong with your data. Take it to the Apple Store.

10) If you encountered no issues during the test period. Start installing apps one at a time from the clone disc. Do NOT use Migration assistant. Leave apps with data you will need for later ( Mail, etc ). If you encounter any troubles with these apps, then you had bad copies of the apps ... discard them and download fresh copies.

11) Now, if things are still running OK, it is time to try and bring over things like your Mail and iTunes Library. Wherever possible, rebuild new libraries from data. Do NOT use migraton assistant. Check for correct operation after each data transfer. If at some point you encounter problems with a specific app ( like Mail ) then that means that somehow your data for that app became corrupted along the way on your previous install and you will need to start over ( sorry but that was at least one source of the problem ).

Closing points: You've mentioned previously in this thread that you were trying to use the Time Machine backup to migrate your data over. Remember what we discussed in other threads; Time Machine should only be used as a convenience backup ... don't trust it for major things like migrating data. Also, keep in mind as you go through this process that any or several of your data sources ( saved mail, iTunes Library ) could have somehow become corrupted sometime in the past in a previous install of OS X. I suspect that you are the type of person who usually prefers the "update install method" when upgrading from one version of OS X to another and even if you thought you were performing a "clean" install, if you did not follow my above procedure you may not actually have gotten a fully clean and fresh system. Any of your previous upgrades could have individually or cumulatively caused your problems if it turns out that it was not a hardware issue.

joenspa    26

I just notice this got pinned so I thought I would give you all a follow up.

I did everything that was in this thread. Clones would boot and I could work from them. This lead me to believe it was hardware. I took the laptop to my local Apple Store. They told me I should wipe the hard drive clean and do a clean install. I avoided blowing up but did ask how many times a week that is required. The tech got a bad look on his face and I told him all the steps I had been through. That seemed to make him understand I wasn't your typical Mac user. So here's what we did next.

1) Genius created a new account and the machine continued to lock up.

2) They asked and I approved wiping the drive and doing a clean install. I hung out at the mall awhile and when I went back they told me it worked fine. I asked them to show me. After a couple minutes it started locking up again. They still claimed it was software related. I pointed out they just wiped the drive and used their disk to install the OS, the only way that it could still be software was if their disk was bad. The Genius thought about it and eventually agreed that the machine was still broke and asked if they could keep it over night. I told him just fix it. I would leave it for days if they would promise to throughly test it.

3) It stayed at the store that night and I got a call the next day and they told me it appeared to be the logic-board. They sent it off and errors were found on the board and it was replaced for $330.

4) The store recommend I drag all files back onto the machine though and not restore from the clone or Migration Assistant. Having lost days or even weeks of my life doing that very process I decided to use my clone. I SuperDupered the drive back over and everything has been fine. I might get 1 or 2 beach balls every couple days or so but at least I can work now.

The lesson here reminds me of the old quote, Only a fool does the same thing over and over expecting a different result. I need to do what everyone suggested but I only needed to do it once or twice, not dozens. Sometimes you have to believe the result and move on.

Thanks for all your help everyone.