Sign in to follow this  
FORZA

Wireless network help needed!

I just purchased the new Apple TV which resides about 35 feet from AEBS(2007). The signal according to the Apple TV was at best two bars, which made streaming audio and video a painful expercience. I decided to purchase an Airport Express to extend the wireless signal of my 2007 AEBS, which really didn't work. I am wondering if I am putting too much demand on my older AEBS with all of my devices, or if the walls in my older home are interferring with wireless signal. I was thinking of buying the newer version of the AEBS to see if that would help with the range issues I seem to be having. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

the signal strength does not tell the whole story. you might have an older device on your wireless network that is forcing it to slow way down. very old Macs and Windows might have an 802.11b wireless card. if this device is active it forces all the other connected devices to slow to this speed. the first thing to do is a survey of what you have connected. the best thing you can do if you have something old is have two wireless networks to segregate B/G and N traffic. that way everything modern can run at N speed and your old stuff can run slow without interring with the new devices.

the signal strength does not tell the whole story. you might have an older device on your wireless network that is forcing it to slow way down. very old Macs and Windows might have an 802.11b wireless card. if this device is active it forces all the other connected devices to slow to this speed. the first thing to do is a survey of what you have connected. the best thing you can do if you have something old is have two wireless networks to segregate B/G and N traffic. that way everything modern can run at N speed and your old stuff can run slow without interring with the new devices.

The devices I have running are as follows: 2 iPhone 4's, Mac Mini 2010 and a iPad. All running N speed.

Update: I made an appointment with the Genius Bar, and without testing the device for any problems the tech just gave me a new ATV2. Brought it home and hooked it up and everything worked out. The signal strength was excellent compared to the original one and as far as I can tell streaming music and movies is working out much better.

Sometimes even Apple gives you a dud LOL. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.