John Bowdler

Lionising Lion

The new OS (Lion) will have a function called 'Versions', which will 'record the evolution of a document as you create it.'

This will be dead handy for me! Currently, working in Word, I have to remember to 'Save as' occasionally and then re-name the document (by adding version 1, version 2, etc) so that I don't lose everything if (when) Word crashes. I'm then left with, say, 20 versions of the document, each at a different stage of 'evolution'. It seems like 'Versions' will do precisely this without my having to remember.

So, can't wait for Lion!

John - not afraid of big cats

rrrr versioning is a really good habit to have just the same. I know a lot of people don't like to have the mess of files this creates but there are lots of reasons to have more than one of something. the rule of thumb to go by is "if there is only one copy of something it might as well not exist." meaning if you loose your only copy, that's it, you have to start over from scratch. rVersioning ensures that you have more copies.

you should already be running Time Machine which can give you the appearance of this feature. if you are making changes to a document everyday there will be versions of your file all the way back to when you first saved it. although this is not as clean as the way it's been implemented in the new kitty as it's to you to find the past version.

Edited by johnfoster

Yes, it's already come in handy more than once, when customers have said "Er, can you go back to version 16 and start again from there?!"

Actually, I've got two time machines. The first one died and Apple very kindly gave me another one and allowed me to keep the first. Although the first time machine doesn't work at the moment, I presume I could get it up and running as a hard disk and retrieve that 'legacy' data. In addition, I copy customer-related stuff onto CD disks - as another level of backup.

all the TC's are wonderfully simple. there just three main parts: a motherboard, hard drive and power supply. the motherboard also drives the "airport" part of the TC. if a TC fails there's little you can do to fix it beyond replacing the power supply failed. the hard drive can be removed, put into a SATA case for data retrieval.