Johanna

Texting app for ios?

Do you guys have any suggestions for an application that does the same thing as texting on the iPhone, but for free and between an iPod touch and an iPhone for instance?

Personally I use Textie. Works great and the ads in the free version aren't too annoying.

I've used TextPlus and Google Voice, I think I like the Google Voice implementation best, but TXTPlus has some nice group txt-ing features.

If more of us give feedback to Apple concerning simplifying their Mac OSX client strategy regarding iMessage and other chat protocols maybe we can convince them to get their act together on this. They are so good at simplifying the end user experience in other areas but in the area of chat clients they seem to be diverging rapidly and making things more complex all the time. I don't care that they have proprietary protocols vs using something more open source like XMPP, but they need to at least support their own protocols on all of their platform clients, such as all MacOSX laptops can communicate properly to iOS5 devices. If they want to make iMessage be their future awesomeness that eventually wipes out SMS messaging in the mobile space, give me a good client on the Mac OSX 10.7.x that can communicate to all of my friends and family that are using that on their iOS5 devices. The Facetime client kinda works, but I don't always want to do a full audio or video connection. People love sending a simple text message and having it eventually get to the person. Support of simple off-line text messages between any Apple device, including their larger laptop and desktop devices is a really important thing and it is one of their most complex mis-steps in recent memory, imho...

- nobidon