jon101247

Third party USB iPod shuffle connectors for lion

Hi,

Ive just upgraded to 10.7 and generally been very impressed. Just one small thing I've noticed is that my cheap third party iPod shuffle USB connector no longer works. I really don't want to have to spend what amounts to ten times the price for the apple product - £15 ($25) for a usb cable, seriously!!??. Does anyone know of any cheap third party USB connectors for a 2nd generation iPod shuffles that will work with 10.7?

Thanks

Jon

Don't buy anything. I can't see why an OS upgrade would keep certain cables from being "seen". First, check to make sure that you have run software update. iTunes 10.4 was released right after Lion an I'm thinking that maybe the trouble is that iTunes is just not seeing the shuffle ... if I'm right, this would be happening no matter what cable you had. If you already have iTunes 10.4, it could be a glitch with the NEW iTunes.

If you go into Disk Utility, does anything show up there when you connect the shuffle ? If so, then most likely the trouble IS iTunes.

Don't buy anything. I can't see why an OS upgrade would keep certain cables from being "seen". First, check to make sure that you have run software update. iTunes 10.4 was released right after Lion an I'm thinking that maybe the trouble is that iTunes is just not seeing the shuffle ... if I'm right, this would be happening no matter what cable you had. If you already have iTunes 10.4, it could be a glitch with the NEW iTunes.

If you go into Disk Utility, does anything show up there when you connect the shuffle ? If so, then most likely the trouble IS iTunes.

No, nothing seen in disk utility and I guess I should be able to charge the iPod irrespective of whether iTunes is running or not. When I plug in the iPod i get a half a second of power indicated by the iPod light, then nothing. That suggests to me that the mac is 'seeing' the device but cutting power to the usb port when it recognises that a non apple connector is in use.

Apple requirements for power supplies, car chargers and dock chargers require load resisters in-line with power and ground to force the power draw to be under or near 500mA which is the maximum current that USB should supply. if the port is drawing more power than what is allowed the system will shut down power to it. similarly iPod and iPhones that get plugged into old chargers or are docked to some devices report that the device is not compatible.

here's a technical guide to the problem.

http://www.ladyada.n...st/icharge.html

further searches for "iPod Shuffle 3rd Gen cable DIY" (or 4th gen) reveals the USB to 4 pin connector wiring guide but nobody has has posted what the resistor values are. Apple lists specific in the cable requirements for iPod Shuffle saying that Gen 1 and 2 cable/docks won't work with Gen 3 or 4. if it was my Shuffle cable to replace I would very much consider getting a second Shuffle using the cost of the replacement cable (that I'd have to buy anyway) as the offset to the new device. the bonus is that you have one that's a party and one that rocks.

Edited by johnfoster

Hi,

Ive just upgraded to 10.7 and generally been very impressed. Just one small thing I've noticed is that my cheap third party iPod shuffle USB connector no longer works. I really don't want to have to spend what amounts to ten times the price for the apple product - £15 ($25) for a usb cable, seriously!!??. Does anyone know of any cheap third party USB connectors for a 2nd generation iPod shuffles that will work with 10.7?

Thanks

Jon

I have an Incipio brand iPod shuffle USB adapter for my 2nd gen shuffle. It's a USB key that has the iPod connector on the other end, no cable. Works with my MBP running Lion.

myincipio.com is their site, here is an Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/3unqcnw

roog

Edited by roogie