Dolphbucs

Steve Jobs no Longer CEO of Apple

Dolphbucs    2

Steve Jobs has resigned as CEO of Apple Inc. He has been made the new Chairman of the Board and Tim Cook has been named CEO. I have to say this does not surprise me. Steve's health probably is not imnproving as much as he would like and they probably figure to make this move in case of the worst. Jobs did NOT look well at WWDC and I had a gut feeling then that was his last hurrah.

Huskermn    33

Agreed in all respects except the 'new' chairman of the board. I believe he already was Chairman and will continue in that role for the immediate future.

Twitter, etc make it seem like he's dead. The stock took a hit (though, I don't believe as bad as when he 'might' resign) but I think Apple will be fine. The product line is already set for a couple years minimum and, as chairman, he'll still have a huge influence on the company.

Isn't he the biggest individual stockholder in Disney, too?

Dolphbucs    2

Agreed in all respects except the 'new' chairman of the board. I believe he already was Chairman and will continue in that role for the immediate future.

Not according to MacWorld

http://www.macworld.com/article/161927/2011/08/steve_jobs_resigns_as_apple_ceo.html

And below is his officail letter of resignation.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-puts-tim-cooks-name-forward-as-ceo/?section=magazines_fortune

I think he may be pretty close to the end. Someone who worked closely with him at Google, prior to the iPhone launch, blogged about his fastidious attention to detail—complaining once that the yellow gradient on the letter O in the Google logo was "wrong". From the way he signed off, it rather seems that people who know our dear leader well enough to have his personal contact details are saying their goodbyes.

I don't know if this has already been suggested, but maybe Adam could set up a donation button on the front page to send money to a cancer care charity, in the Bay area. It's very sad for him to die at such a young age, when so many of the really exciting things from Apple are yet to come.

On the actual leadership front, I'm surprised there wasn't an open ballot of the board. I would have thought, in terms of picking a public face for the company, Phil Schiller or Jony Ive would have been the first choice. You can't, of course, replace Jobs, but I would presume they're going to keep up with the tradition of presenting their new product launches at the Moscone Centre, in front of an audience and in streaming video. Let's hope Steve uses the time off to recover well enough to present plenty more of those.

Huskermn    33

Yeh, I was wrong. They quit having a CoB awhile back and went to lead director(s). I thought I remembered him listed as CoB from my stockholders docs but went back and looked again and he wasn't. He's been on the Board but not officially Chairman. But, really, does anyone think the Board would have tried to intervene in anything. He's been in charge since he was appointed interim CEO and will continue to be so until he just can't anymore (which, may or may not be soon).