joenspa

Lost iPhone HAPPY ENDING

I was letting my daughter use my old original iPhone as an iPod. Her and her mom lost it at a Girl Scout meeting at our church. Should be a good place to lose one right? Girl Scouts, church, should get it back right away, wrong!

It has no sim in it and no phone service but wifi is active. I'm hoping someone tries to access the internet with it so I can locate it. But then I started to wonder, if the new owner wipes it and does a restore or starts from scratch will Find My iPhone still work? Does it have to have my Mobile Me info logged into it?

ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks.

let's say you "find" an iPhone. and you decide that you don't want to give it back or turn it in. but there's that pesky Find my IPhone feature that 90% of people don't know how to use. here's how we take care of the 10% that want it back. it doesn't matter which version because they are all the same.

immediately when you find the iPhone go to Preferences and set Airplane Mode to On. click the Home button. Swipe from Left to Right. type Find for Find iPhone. if it's there click the Home button. swipe through the apps until you find it. click on the Find iPhone icon and hold. click the X to delete it. click the Home button to stop the apps from being nervous. go back to Preferences. find Store. click Sign Out. later on enter a new Apple ID. hopefully one that you already made just for this job. for good measure turn Location Services to Off. remove the SIM. etc. the phone will remain activated. let iTunes resync and thus destroy the old settings or you can "restore" it with your own data.

that's one way.

here's another. you left the scene with the phone powered off. good for you. you happen to have a cable that works with you iPod. WiFi is all locked down. pull the SIM. power on but be ready to go. Preference. General. scroll all the way to the bottom to Reset. select Erase All Content and Settings. click it again. three hours later all traces of the original owner will be gone. now take steps to reactivate it.

yet another way.

the first step is the important one. turn it off. hold down the top button until it says "slide to power off. do this the second you find it otherwise it's going to get found within a few minutes to an hour.

leave the area right away. if you aren't there when the owner returns to find it you won't have to answer a single question.

look for specific marks or damage. at this point you can still give the phone back because a damaged phone is going to a) cost you money B) be identifiable within your group c) not going to be as easy to sell/give away/use. if it's been engraved you will need to remove those words. get a sticker to cover up the obvious deletion. consider a case. make sure it's similar to what you might have already. like if you have a red case go with that color. if the glass is already smashed you will need to fix it or have it fixed. this is the dead giveaway to somebody who might still be looking long after it's been "off'd".

don't turn the iPhone on again for at least 7-10 days. stick it in a drawer and forget about it. while it's off remove the SIM card. be sure to toss that some place soon. good places include: putting it in a soda can, crushing it, then recycle the can, or toss it in the camp fire, or drop it off the side of the ferry or just ditch it in a trash can that isn't yours. don't drop it in a parking lot or sidewalk. people turn that stuff in.

if there was a case or sticker on it remove it. this should get tossed the same way the SIM card got tossed.

prepare to reload it.

check the WiFi around you. you are looking for open routers. if the router is open don't turn on the iPhone. yet.

download the latest firmware that the phone will run. 3.13 is where the 1st gen phones are stuck. everything else will run 4 something.

turn it on. and the second it's got a home screen find Preferences, hit WiFi, then off. it should take about 3 seconds. practice on a different iPhone first.

okay. now you can go slower. power off the phone, enter DFU mode, then restore using the already downloaded ISPW. the bad news is that after doing this you will need to activate the phone. so don't do that. instead you'll want to jailbreak and activate it especially if you aren't going to use it as a phone.

let's say you "find" an iPhone. and you decide that you don't want to give it back or turn it in. but there's that pesky Find my IPhone feature that 90% of people don't know how to use. here's how we take care of the 10% that want it back. it doesn't matter which version because they are all the same.

So I'm screwed. Damn!

the only time Find my iPhone works is if the person just leaves it on, keeps using it and isn't smart about what they have. the other way it works is that it gets turned in, the person in charge of it (pun intended) plugs it in and talks back when you talk to the iPhone using TXT, calling or the Find tool. it really is a feel good freeture for the most part. makes you think you have a chance if you lose it but the reality is if the person doing the taking wants it you won't get it back.

Good news. I got it back! No Find my iPhone or technology involved. The janitor, a Mac guy, found it and knew it was expensive. He had it very carefully tucked away in his closet along with the papers my wife left there. It was all in a bag and labeled. Too much work and thought for someone that was going to keep something. VERY long story short he knew too that things in the church lost and found tend to go home with the office workers. Good old Keith got $50 for his honesty.

Just wanted you all to know it made it home and as always thanks for taking to the time to help me.