Sign in to follow this  
John

iCloud on Snow Leopard

Don't know if this issue has been addressed elsewhere in this forum, but if not I think it's worth noting that a lot of Apple users are irate over the fact that they have to upgrade to Lion to use iCloud. Their reasons are varied, but mostly boil down to this: Either they have programs or hardware that won't run on Lion. I realize that Apple can't be burdened with supporting legacy hardware and apps, but I think the least they could do, since it appears to be technically feasible, is to support some core functionality, like mail, calendar, and contact syncing.

It's a pretty old story but there still may be some hope for you.Here's a link to the story about Apple (at least at one point) having intentions of releasing a 10.6.9 update for Snow Leopard to add some iCloud functionality. Again, this story is about 2 months old by now so Apple may have dropped that plan entirely but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10.6.9 update in the next 2-3 weeks.

Personally, I don't see why so many are up in arms about this. If I have an older Ford, am I somehow being mistreated or cheated by not being able to get Ford sync for my older auto ? Granted it is a little different as MobileMe is being discontinued, but there are plenty of other syncing and e-mail options out there still supported by the older OS's. Over history, products have always added new functionality that requires an upgrade of some sort .... why the surprise and consternation over iCloud requiring some with older equipment and software to upgrade ?

It's called progress and with progress some are always left behind. It's not always fair, but exactly what in life is ?

Edited by Dolphbucs

the car analogy is weak. of course you don't expect a car to get upgrades.

however, in computers there isn't a single reason why software couldn't run on different version of the OS because it's software. and the nature of OS X allows specific things to get "bolted on" unless there is some core function of Lion that makes iCloud possible. however, I seriously doubt there is that specific technology. at it's core iCloud sync'ing is something like rsync, scp, sftp or AFP over the network (aka iDisk). old stuff.

there are also lots of reasons to not blindly upgrade to the version of an OS the day it comes out. the businesses I support require that things work 100%. this means that we can't just put Adobe CS5.5 into use until all the vendors we work with can accept files, all the other designers, programmers and engineers are also ready to go and our clients are clear that we are upgrading. it's not a small effort. the worst part is that somebody always jumps the gun and makes life hell up and down the chain despite being told "do not upgrade! wait!"

that said, I don't care if the new iTunes shows up or that people upgrade their iPhones to iOS5. they just won't get every feature on the Mac they are provided for work they do.

John, I'm not trying to imply that it is smart for people to rush out and upgrade right away. But I don't understand all the fuss that people are making over the fact that you must have Lion or iOS 5 to use iCloud.

Current MobileMe users have the option of staying with MobileMe for free until June 2012. By that time Lion will be almost a year old and should be sufficiently vetted for people to "safely" upgrade. In fact, MobileMe seems to have MORE functionality than iCloud if you discount the iTunes Features ... and by then, the hardware NOT able to run Lion will be almost 6 years old. Bringing a system up to spec for Lion at that point will be $30 ( if you don't need a newer machine by then anyway ). So what are current MobileMe users who don't want to run Lion complaining about ?

And anyone who wasn't using MobileMe, is currently using other solutions anyway.

In other words, "If you want new features x,y & z, you need to upgrade ... if not, or if you can't, you stay where you are". How is this a new concept in the computer industry ?

Edited by Dolphbucs