joenspa

How was your iCloud?

I now have iOS5 on the iPhone and iPad. I have Lion on both my laptops. I am ready to through the switch from being Mobile to be Clouded but am a little nervous. How has it gone for you folks?

When I moved our stuff from Mobile Me to iCloud the iPad2 calendar had triplicate entries, but it was easily fixed with the settings. I had a problem with iPhoto in that when I enabled Photo Stream iPhoto then crashed repeatedly and became unusable. I turned off Photo Stream in System Preferences and now I can use iPhoto again. I hope there will be an update soon so I can turn it back on. Good luck!

I didn't move to Lion. that's not to say that I didn't test it for a while when it came out. my thing is that I really don't want to be a pioneer anymore. and as a rule I don't use dot oh releases ever. there was a article that said that iCloud was going to be supported in the last version of Snow Kitty. but at ship time that didn't materialize. as far as I'm concerned there is no hurry to make the switch.

I made the move and, like some, regretted it. I too was hoping for the rumoured Snow Leopard support and a week after iCloud et al materialised I foolishly jumped. Here's the feedback I've just sent Apple...

I am very disappointed as someone with two Macs running Snow Leopard that you did not provide support for iCloud in that operating system yet do so in a version of Windows (Vista) which is nearly a year older. I don't want to update my Macs to Lion as one is below the minimum system requirements and both run Microsoft Office 2004 which won't run on that. (I also want to keep Front Row as I plan to retire them to Media Centre roles when I can afford to.) It's particularly annoying, as a MobileMe subscriber, that it wasn't clear in your guidance note (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597) that Lion was essential for synchronisation of Contacts and Calendars. (I know it's covered here... http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/mac.html ...but it should have been covered there as well.) I wish I'd never jumped. At least I still have my Gallery and iDisk until the end of June - services I will certainly miss.

...so let's hope the new man at the top listens.

After a little bit of time I've made some more observations concerning iCloud. Overall very good with a very glaring hole.

Photo Stream - Love it! I could sometimes take me weeks to pull the photos from my iPhone. Having them show up without effort is great. Haven't yet had a problem with it *knock on wood*.

Reminders/Calendar/email/Address - Also love it. I was using these services already, and the addition of To Do items (reminders) is a long time coming for me. I like the seamless ability to create and edit To Dos across whatever device happens to be in my hand.

iBookmarks - Never thought I'd use it, but came in handy today. Pretty cool.

Documents in the Cloud - Sucks. Completely. What I had hoped it would do is what they advertised. I can handle the non-syncing with my Mac, but when I do upload files and try to use them across devices Apple deletes them within a day. I'd love to be able to create a rehearsal plan in pages, send it to the cloud, read it form my iPhone while at rehearsal, make notes in the document about things we need to concentrate on the next week, and have those sync back to the cloud. Similarly I'd like to have all my devices have the updated copy of the Music Library Inventory spreadsheets. If they go to iCloud they're going to be toast. Looks like i'll stick with Dropbox and at least be able to read the files at rehearsal (editing would be nice though).