Gospel

BT Headset not working with late-2007 Mac Pro

Hi all,

I got my Mac Pro in Nov. 2007. I'm trying to get my Sony DR-BT21G stereo Bluetooth headset to work with this Mac which is running 10.7.2 Lion. The headset works great with my iDevices. I have paired the headset to this Mac and it seems to be properly recognized as a Bluetooth headset. But, I can't get the headset to connect with the Mac. Here is what the settings show:

http://i.pbase.com/o6/17/373317/1/139635084.MBw4A1cb.BTHeadset.jpg

I was not prompted to enter a PIN for the device. Anyway, it would be 0000 if I had to. The headset shows up as an audio device when I opt+click on the speaker icon on the right part of the menu bar.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven

three related stories:

the first. I was trying to sync something BlueTooth the other day to a last year model MacBook Pro. it would show the device serial number in the list but no amount of rubber chicken waving would get it to sync. I was about to give up but decided to replace the batteries with just charged batteries. pop, pop, replace, replace, try to sync and it did. so make sure it's all charged up.

the second. the request was to have a Mac Mini in a conference room attached to a large plasma display. I made a mount for the Mini allowing it to hide behind the display. all the cables got neated up so you'd never know that it was there. the bluetooth keyboard and mouse worked just fine as long as it was on a certain part of the conference room table. but the CEO twerp didn't like standing there so he moved the input devices which promptly stopped working. duh, right? not hearing the end of how pathetic "I" was from him I field tripped to CompUSA (when they had stores) and Fry's (they still have stores) for possible solutions. I bought 14 different external BlueTooth adapters, ordered pizza and started testing. half didn't work. half of those that did work didn't extend the range and then I had success. the twenty dollar thing with an antenna connected the mouse and keyboard all the way down the hall. the Mac didn't even need a driver to use it. it just worked. I returned the unused perfectly repackaged adapters afterward and passed on my findings to the clueless knobs at the stores. they were annoyed that I was returning 13 bluetooth thingies and didn't really care what worked.

the third. a GFC had a headset that she really liked. it worked with her BlackBerry just fine. she wanted it to work with her PC with Skype. which she got running by following some directions on the headset makers site. and then there was her MacBook. she tried, she really did. she even forked over for a new OS X at the suggestion of an airquots genius without telling me her problems first. I think it was days before she finally said punt and asked me for help. it turns out that BlueTooth has a bunch of different standards 1.o, 1.1, 1.2, 2.o, 2.1, etc with three classes of devices. banana land right? while all BlueTooth is supposed to be backward compatible the makers of the driver on both sides can't test with every device for compatbility. turns out the headset was really old. and while it was reported to a 1.2 device (according to the makers website) I suspected it was some hybird form of that to make it sound newer and more compatible. and because it worked with BlackBerry and a Dell how much more compatible did it need to be? I never got it to work with an Apple product consquently I didn't see her much longer after that. oh well.

So, basically, it may not work with my Mac Pro despite having no issues with iDevices. Here isthe Amazon UKlisting for my headset. I can't find it on the Amazon US site anymore.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RZEK4K?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

So, I will try this Motorola vetsion which looks similar in style (behind the neck):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BH3I9U/ref=cm_sw_em_r_am_ip_am_us?ie=UTF8

BTW, I don't use a BT mouse or keyboard. I also turned off BT on my iPhone while teying to get the Sony headset to work with the Mac.

I will report back on the results with the new geadset.

Thanks,

Steven

the Mac Pro is an all metal case which could reduce the BlueTooth signal. the thing that I would try would be one of the many (and cheap) external adapters. you want something that is in the Class 2 or Class 3 catagory. otherwise just standing up could put it out of range.

the Mac Pro is an all metal case which could reduce the BlueTooth signal. the thing that I would try would be one of the many (and cheap) external adapters. you want something that is in the Class 2 or Class 3 catagory. otherwise just standing up could put it out of range.

I do have a USB Bluetooth dongle. How do I get the Mac to use it instead of the built-in one? Is it just Plug 'n Play?

BTW, got the Motorola headset today. It works good but I do get dropouts just sitting in front of the computer.

Thanks!

Steven

the drop outs are happening because the internal BlueTooth is losing connection with the headset. in most cases the Mac will "just work" with a BlueTooth dongle. all you have to do is plug it in and it will start working.

That's what I've done and it seems to be working fine. No drop outs. The "dongle" barely pokes out of the USB port in front..

Good news, my Sony headset now works with the Mac Pro using the dongle. But, I will probably just use the Sony headset with the iDevices and use the Motorola headset with the Mac.

Thanks for your help!

Steven

FWIW, the Sony headset sounds much better than the Motorola headset. Has much better base for music. But, the Motorola is Half the price of the Sony. YMMV.