mamafonz

Lion troubles

I am not the most sophisticated computer user, but I have been an Apple user for my entire computer life (started with Apple 2 e) Upgrading to new operating systems has been a challenge, but normally I was able to make the adjustment. This time, I am going NUTS!

The lack of a library folder in my user folder -- I need to access stuff that was attached to emails, I need to copy a mail folder from my iMac to my Macbook Air, stuff like that. I need to get into the library to do that!

The whole "duplicate before you start typing" in an existing document is not an improvement. I guess the reason is the automatic save feature. Probably a good idea but dang it!

When I type quickly in Mail or Pages, the program crashes. It sends a report to Apple, but this is getting to be really annoying, It happens 100% of the time. I now have to remind myself to slow down every sentence or two so that the program doesn't crash. I suspect that this too is related to the automatic save feature.

But the real HUGE PROBLEM is that my MacBook Air does not log in to a public Wifi anymore. The Red Carpet Club has a Wifi that has always worked just fine with every laptop computer I ever had. But since upgrading to Lion, my Macbook Air 11" will not log on. It gets the IP just fine but never actually logs in. In fact it will sometimes give me a 404 not found rather than the login page. And it takes 2 - 3 minutes to decide whether or not to display the page where I enter my login information! I tried repeatedly and it took 2 - 3 minutes every time. Then failed to log in. People around me, using iPads, MadBooks, PCs, all got on just fine. Just like always! And my iPhone logged in just fine. But the MacBook Air with Lion would not.

When I run Disk Utility, I get a huge list of permissions that are not correct and Disk Utility says it repaired them, I run Disk Utility again and the EXCT same permission errors appear again. And Again and again. This is true on my iMac and on my Macbook air.

So those are the things that Lion has introduced into my computing and they are all making my computing less pleasant. I would like to send a message to Apple about these issues. Do you know what address I should use?

Thanks for any help you may have for me.

we really need to understand and lay out exactly what Repair Permissions does. Permissions haven't been a big problem since 10.4 was released.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1452

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repair_permissions

one of the things that gets this feature so much attention is the word Repair. it became the catch-all task to do first for any problem that arrises. like magic is going to happen every time this runs. here's a quote of what you usually see in a forum post:

"This is on an older PowerBook G4 with 10.5.8. I ran Fix Permissions and it made no difference."

duh. the thing to note is that the user wrote it as "Fix Permissions". there it is FIX as in FIX my problem!

I bet we could release a series off apps called "Error Tools" that essentially do nothing that everyone will report in "dude, it fixed my problem!!"

Edited by johnfoster

John is right about the Repair Permissions thing. It, generally, doesn't do much constructive.

I think it sounds like you have a bad install of Lion. Have you tried a Reinstall?

Another useful test is to see if the same things occur with a different user account. It's possible something in your account is corrupted.

When was the last time you did a clean install ? It does sound like something in your user acct. You mention that you mess around in your Library Folder, especially with e-mails .... very easy to muck things up doing that. And then you try an in place install of Lion and it goes bonkers. I think Husker is on the right track ... try setting up a new user.

As far as the Wi-Fi thing .... how does the computer work with other hotspots ? If not the same issue with them, it could be an older setting at that one location that previous "cats" let it get away with.

BTW The Library folder is still there. All you have to do is click "Go" in the menu bar and hold down the option key and it will show in the drop down. Probably, Apple was getting too many calls from users deleting stuf they shouldn't from their Library and decided to hide the folder ( funny though that if that was the reason, they still left the system/Library folder visible )

to fix a wifi problem you need to delete some files from username / library / preference / SystemConfiguration

delete these three files:

com.apple.network.identification.plist
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist

then reboot.

if that doesn't fix the problem you can sometimes fix a borked system by downloading and installing the latest combo installer. it has to be the mega huge combo installer and not the small specific one. this will update anything that is missing or unreadable.

but it's not a magic fix either. sometimes the best thing to do is to reinstall it from scratch and then get your data and apps back using Time Machine or some other backup tool that you diligently run.

to fix a wifi problem you need to delete some files from username / library / preference / SystemConfiguration

delete these three files:

com.apple.network.identification.plist
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist

then reboot.

if that doesn't fix the problem you can sometimes fix a borked system by downloading and installing the latest combo installer. it has to be the mega huge combo installer and not the small specific one. this will update anything that is missing or unreadable.

but it's not a magic fix either. sometimes the best thing to do is to reinstall it from scratch and then get your data and apps back using Time Machine or some other backup tool that you diligently run.

Thanks for all of the help, everybody! I am gonna take my MBA out to see what happens. (After this Thanksgiving weekend and my jet lag!) YOu have given me some terrific ideas. It is just one of those things I will go through your ideas and do them. However, The path: username / library / preference / SystemConfiguration does not exist on my MBA! In the username / library / preferences folder there is no folder named "SystemConfiguration"

Maybe the path is slightly different in Lion?

Edited by mamafonz

sorry. I don't run Lion so I cannot verify that these files exist. I'm sure they do. it's possible that the Library folder is hidden from view.

why don't you run Lion? I though you were some kind of Mac nerd! was. but I've been burned by being a pioneer. it's only .1 more than a dot-ohh release. that's too close for me. when I switched from 10.5 to 10.6 I had a series of mishaps that were caused by my blind faith that all was going to just work. but it didn't and I lost more than one recording. my dog ate it kind of excuse. and there was no way to get that show back. nobody wanted to do it again. it was brutal. but I nuked that installation and went back to 10.5 until there was a day that it was clear that 10.6 was the only way i could run something so I kicked up there using the last latest. let's just say it took them 8 tries to get it into the most stable thing ever. and so I'm reluctant to leave. and if I'm to leave I might want to look elsewhere. my current set of tools is Adobe CS5 which happens to run on Windows 7 which is nicely stable and runs on cheaper faster hardware and why wouldn't you look because Adobe is the same same only different when you get a way more kick ass video card which sometimes proves to a bottleneck for the stuff that I am making.

the worst is that they changed mail. yes you can change it back. but it's conveluted for no reason.

Edited by johnfoster