TerryB

Should I be worried?

TerryB    5

Oh boy!

I have permissions problems aplenty here! Verify disc comes up OK BUT permissions consistently give me errors, predominantly of the "ACL found but not expected" variety.

I can run permissions repair and 5 minutes later it comes up the same. I've repaired permissions, restarted and run permissions and they are all over the place again immediately!

Any ideas please? I am still within my Apple Care term!

TerryB

Huskermn    33

Not to worry, those continued errors are reporting problems within the system. More than once, Apple has said so on the forums, but they seem to have deleted those related forum posts.

Also, John F will tell you that Repair Permissions is really not that useful anymore. When OS X started, it performed real tasks but has since just become 'that old black magic'.

johnfoster    48

do you think you have problems because some obsolete tool tells you that you have problems? or do you have actual problems? like apps not opening. or files not opening in the correct app? or maybe you have crash, crash, crash problems. well? those problems aren't problems caused by permissions problems. and the only time permissions problems were EVER fatal problems was on OS X 10.2. 10.3 had only one thing that repairing persmissions fixed. and after the oh es ex ten point four releases 99.999% of the time running that tool is a complete waste of time.

why? it's because what the permissions are largely don't matter. and because installers make a point to getting it done right so you don't need to do anything.

there are people that want to "change the oil on their Mac" as in, you know, do stuff to do stuff.

I DO NOT DO THESE THINGS!

I leave my Macs alone. I use them for making things. I install and remove fonts. I add new programs. I delete old programs. I never reboot unless the OS demands it. and I NEVER EVER NEVER repair permissions just because.

one guy I knew was losing his mind because he could not burn DVDs. he does every software thing. runs every tool. reinstalls the OS. this goes on for days. and none of that worked. the problem? it was a bad DVD writer. my point is don't assume that the problem you hare having can be fixed by doing something to the software.

somebody just said, "what does it hurt? just run permission repair and be done with it..." but my point is heard. it's not a fix. it's almost never a repair. you don't have to do this. and they don't have to be perfect for Mac to function flawlessly. but if you have problems what are the problems. a zillion bucks says it is not permissions.

Edited by johnfoster

TerryB    5

Wow! right-ho John! Some blast but I get your point. I'll soldier on then and see what happens when I install Lion in January. That was a fast education!

cheers,

TerryB