Johanna

Synching iCal with online calendar?

Johanna    8

Hi, I was just wondering if any of you knew of a way to sync my iCal calendar with an online calendar, like google for instance. I tried to do this: http://support.googl...swer=99358#ical

but it seemed to only work from google to iCal, and not the other way around.

Thanks you

Edited by Johanna

Johanna    8

iCal>Preferences>Accounts. Add your Google info from there and see if that works.

Yes, that's what I did. Only seemed to sync from google to iCal and not the other way around. Since iCal is my primary calendar that was a bit unpractical. :)

Edited by Johanna

Apple Geek    15

I never had a problem with it in the past (I'm moved to iCloud now). Make sure that when you are editing the calendars on your Mac that you are editing the Google calendars and not your local calendars. I'm sure you are doing this already but it's worth checking. Are you running Snow Leopard?

Edited by Apple Geek

Johanna    8

I never had a problem with it in the past (I'm moved to iCloud now). Make sure that when you are editing the calendars on your Mac that you are editing the Google calendars and not your local calendars. I'm sure you are doing this already but it's worth checking. Are you running Snow Leopard?

Yes, i'm running snow leopard.

Apple Geek    15

I apologize since I don't still have a Snow Leopard machine but is there a System Preference place called Mail, Contacts, & Calendars? I think that was added in Lion but if it's there in SL you could try adding your Google account there. Could you further explain what exactly isn't working? If you add an event on your Mac it doesn't show up in Google Calendars? Can you force-sync the calendars?

Johanna    8

I apologize since I don't still have a Snow Leopard machine but is there a System Preference place called Mail, Contacts, & Calendars? I think that was added in Lion but if it's there in SL you could try adding your Google account there. Could you further explain what exactly isn't working? If you add an event on your Mac it doesn't show up in Google Calendars? Can you force-sync the calendars?

I can get it to show up now, but only with new events, and I'd like it to sync everything. And I like to have different colours for different events, and that does not seem to sync over. Didn't find that system preference.

Is it possible for GC to sync everything, and not just new events?

Is there any other free online calendar that can sync with iCal?

Edited by Johanna

Apple Geek    15

A quick search found this thread: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Calendar/thread?tid=13014656e99795d8&hl=en you might read through it. You mention that you like different colors for different events - do you mean that you are using different calendars? (Such as "Home", "Work", "Family", etc) or can Google actually make different events within the same calendar different colors? I think there's a setting somewhere that says "Don't sync events older than XX days/months/years" and that same setting should let you sync "all" events.

I really apologize, Apple changed quite a bit with iCal in Lion and, again, I don't have a Snow Leopard machine to check all of this stuff. I do know that I had moderate success with syncing Google Calendars with iCal in the past. However, while it is an expensive option, BusyCal is a FANTASTIC replacement for iCal and I know the it works flawlessly with Google Calendar.

I'm hoping someone still on Snow Leopard will chime in and try to help you out better than I've been doing.

Johanna    8

A quick search found this thread: http://www.google.co...6e99795d8&hl=en you might read through it. You mention that you like different colors for different events - do you mean that you are using different calendars? (Such as "Home", "Work", "Family", etc) or can Google actually make different events within the same calendar different colors? I think there's a setting somewhere that says "Don't sync events older than XX days/months/years" and that same setting should let you sync "all" events.

I really apologize, Apple changed quite a bit with iCal in Lion and, again, I don't have a Snow Leopard machine to check all of this stuff. I do know that I had moderate success with syncing Google Calendars with iCal in the past. However, while it is an expensive option, BusyCal is a FANTASTIC replacement for iCal and I know the it works flawlessly with Google Calendar.

I'm hoping someone still on Snow Leopard will chime in and try to help you out better than I've been doing.

Ah, don't apologise, thank you for all your help, I appreciate it. :) I'd just be a bonus if it worked. I meant different calendars like home, work and so on, yes.